Latest Update Hanging MBP
    Getting ready to head overseas for a deployment this weekend, decided to take my Macbook Pro down range seeing as I think it will hold up better as opposed to my Toshiba I've taken overseas. I was trying to make sure my laptop was completely up to date, and apparently Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3 was available, so I decided to download it and install. Well, it downloaded, rebooted, and now Im hanging at the gray screen with the mouse cursor, which I can move. However, Im not getting any status bars or anything, and its been about 15 minutes. I did accidentally leave an external hard drive hooked up to it, hoping that didn't cause this. Im afraid to shut it off since it was a firmware update. Any suggestions on what I should do? Hoping I didn't toast something 2 days before I leave, that would completely be my luck though.

BTW, I am running Lion.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    First off zap the pram, reboot and after chime hold down Command, Option , P and R keys all together until the third chime. Release and should boot up. Keep us posted in no joy?
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

OK, when I didn't hear back earlier, took a risk (I'm sure) I shut it off, then booted it back up and everything went to the install process. Rebooted, and it appears everything updated and is working well. Guessing it just got hung up at reboot. Appreciate the response though.
    On a side note, this has me wondering though. I wasn't planning on packing my Install DVDs (that came with the MBP) and taking them with me, but Im beginning to wonder if I should. I still have the big install file for Lion on my external, that I am bringing. Would you recommend taking those DVDs though just in case? Or should I load up anything else on my external? Worried I could hit some crash, and being stuck in the middle of Afghanistan where Im sure theres no genius bar could bite me in the rear. Appreciate the response again.

Thread Information