New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New Macbook Pro w Lion - How can I keep messages on my mail server?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmb13

cmb13 is on a distinguished road

I would like to keep messages on my server, because my new Macbook Pro is for home use, and I like to be able to download my messages on my home computer (iMac). However, when I delete messages on the Macbook Mail, they seem to be removed from the server also.

I opened Preferences, Advanced, and I'm looking for the "remove messages from server" option to uncheck it, but this option is not there.

This is Mail 5.0, Lion 10.7

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

what if you go to preferences then click on accounts then the advanced tab, there a checkbox that says "remove copy from server after retrieving message" mine is checked and that keeps all my messages on the server. try that I'm not sure if it would work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Some servers do not allow messages to remain. In other words, when you access your account on line or "get messages" from a mail program, they are considered read and removed from the server.

Go on line to your mail ISP provider, log into your account, and see if there is an option there to allow mail to remain on the server. If there isn't and you don't have that option in Mac Mail, there's not much you can do about it except get another mail provider.
QUOTE Thanks
syscon

syscon is on a distinguished road

Do you mean set up your email as IMAP as appose to POP.

IMAP - Syncs with your mail server and leaves messages on there.

POP - Collects mail from the mail server and deletes them on doing so.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Quote:
Originally Posted by syscon View Post

POP - Collects mail from the mail server and deletes them on doing so.
unless you check the option i mention, I use POP and my messages are always on the server.
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
what if you go to preferences then click on accounts then the advanced tab, there a checkbox that says "remove copy from server after retrieving message" mine is checked and that keeps all my messages on the server. try that I'm not sure if it would work.
Thanks - there is no checkbox like that on my advanced tab. I wonder if they changed things for the new operating system?
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Some servers do not allow messages to remain. In other words, when you access your account on line or "get messages" from a mail program, they are considered read and removed from the server.

Go on line to your mail ISP provider, log into your account, and see if there is an option there to allow mail to remain on the server. If there isn't and you don't have that option in Mac Mail, there's not much you can do about it except get another mail provider.
My iMac at home allows me to retrieve mail and leaves the message on the server. I'll have to bring this computer home and compare settings. That one uses Snow Leopard, though, and this one uses Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb13 View Post
Thanks - there is no checkbox like that on my advanced tab. I wonder if they changed things for the new operating system?
thats weird I'm also running Lion :s
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

thats weird I'm also running Lion here's a screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (205.8 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

mine looks similar, with the first two lines the same, but instead of saying the "remove messages...." line, it says
- "compact messages automatically" which cannot be unselected, then it says
- "keep copies of messages for offline viewing" which I have selected.

I use Yahoo mail (actually Bellsouth which is run by Yahoo)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto on OS X 10.1? | Unable to find Win7 boot after partition »