New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Screen goes to black before login

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcollens

dcollens is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2

A while ago I ran into the problem where when I opened the lid of my MacBook the screen goes to black before I can log in.

This only happens when under power - it works just fine when running on batteries.

It appears to be somewhat intermittent. It was doing this for a couple of weeks. When I took it to the Apple store for this and a couple of other problems, of course it was behaving properly. When I opened up this morning it started happening again.

Anyone else ever run into this problem and if so what is the solution?

Thanks,

dc
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You say the screen goes black. I'm assuming you're referring to coming out of sleep mode, or is this from a power up after shutting down?

About the only thing I can suggest for now is to do a SMC reset to see if that resolves it.
QUOTE Thanks
dcollens

dcollens is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2

Thanks for getting back to me.

This happens after I have put my Mac to sleep after closing the lid. When I reopen the lid, the login appears, but before I can put in my password the screen goes black.

I remove the power cord and everything reappears and I can continue on. After logging in I replace the power and everything continues as if it were normal.

One other thing I did find today is that if I continue with the password, even though the screen is black, the Mac actually does the login. I remove and replace the power and everything is back and logged in.

I did try the SMC and still get the same issue.

Hope this helps, but I may have to go to the Apple store again. But of course when I go there it will not happen

dc
QUOTE Thanks
T-Walt

T-Walt is on a distinguished road

The issue that you described has been happening to me as well. I open my Macbook Pro from sleeping and see the login screen, before I start typing the screen turns off. I did not realize your first trick with the power supply worked. I have found, though, that if you type in your password, press enter, and then press the "screen brightness up" button the screen goes from off to one block on the brightness scale.

It seems like there is some kind of glitch in the brightness settings or something.

Hope someone can know how to fix - although it isn't a significant issue, it can get annoying after a while.

Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dazza23

dazza23 is on a distinguished road

Also interested to see it is not just mine having this stupid problem but I am equally concerned it is wide spread. I have the same issue and though it mostly comes on when i type my password not always. If anyone has a fix please post.
QUOTE Thanks
Sean Design

Sean Design is on a distinguished road

I have the same exact problem! So annoying, has anyone figured this out?
QUOTE Thanks
0hw0rd

0hw0rd is on a distinguished road

I am also having the same exact issue, however unplugging and hitting the brightness button doesn't fix the problem. I have to open and close it several times before it doesn't go dark. It has also started turning the camera on while I try to type my password into the dark screen. Very weird.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I hope you have reported this to Apple - the guys who can fix it:
Apple - Feedback
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost Connection to Printer | Norton Anti-Virus »