New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How Can I Tell What is Wrong With These Files??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juice

juice is on a distinguished road

Hello all from Mali. I regret that I have an awful internet connection here so it's tough to search for solutions.

I am having some serious problems with files on my external hard drive. It started a while ago when I would try to play them in iTunes, and it would freeze up, then disconnect my external hard drive.

Now, I've been able to isolate a couple files (they are all mp3s). They are not new -- I've played them for several years with no problem. If I try to look at them in Finder, Finder often crashes. If I try to copy them to another external hard drive, it ejects my hard drive.

The HD is a WD 1TB Passport. It does this on both USB ports of my MBA. I am 99% sure it's the files, and not my hard drive, but I can't figure out how to fix this.

I've done "Get Info" on the files from Finder and compared to good files, and there appears to be no difference (permissions, for example).

Any ideas? It is getting REALLY annoying. For example, when I search in Spotlight, as soon as it flicks over to searching my hard drive, it must hit one of these files, and my computer freaks and ejects the HD.

Thanks VERY much for any help. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive (NOT repair permissions).
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

It sounds as if the files could be corrupt. In that case there is not a lot you can do.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Thanks guys. I just repaired permissions; disk utility seemed to think it was okay.

I'm cool if the files are corrupted -- I have backups. But the bigger issue is how do I know which ones are corrupted? What is it about the file that will let me identify it as so?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I've used terminal to back up drives that behave this way. One benefit of using terminal's cp command is if a file is hit that is unreadable, the system will attempt to read it for about a minute, and then give up and move to the next file. Finder, as you've already discovered, just quits once it hits a file it can't read.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Okay, digging this one up.

I finally was able to get back to the US to buy another drive. I am planning on taking the last poster's suggestion on using Terminal to copy to the new drive.

Does this make sense? I guess I can just google on how to do so?

So many files on this drive cause my machine to freak out. Finder spins forever trying to look at them, or if I pull them up in Spotlight or iTunes, it ejects my hard drive.

Hoping copying them over carries some solution, but wanted to check with the community before I did so.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If several files on the drive are doing that it's probably a good idea to get as much data off of it as possible as fast as possible. Even though no errors were found in Disk Utility it would not surprise me if the drive did not fail soon.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If several files on the drive are doing that it's probably a good idea to get as much data off of it as possible as fast as possible. Even though no errors were found in Disk Utility it would not surprise me if the drive did not fail soon.
Hey, thanks for the advice... problem is, is that if I use Finder for these files, it kills my computer. So Terminal is the way to go, is it?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Just double-checking - it sounds like you have repaired permissions, but NOT repaired the hard drive in Disk Utility? On the far right side of Disk Utility is Repair the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Well bad news turns worse. I can't copy with Terminal either. Gets going then ejects the drive at some random point. Other ideas on how to get these files? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

Sorry to keep harping -- have you repaired the hard drive yet?
I Don't Mean Repair Permissions - I Mean Repair the Hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
Sorry to keep harping -- have you repaired the hard drive yet?
I Don't Mean Repair Permissions - I Mean Repair the Hard drive.
Hey, no worries, thanks for the advice. Sorry for not responding.

Yes I ran a disk repair ("Repair Disk" under FIrst Aid in disk utility?), and it runs quite quickly and says my disk appears to be ok.

Lies, OS X!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

You should copy all the files you can off this drive, and then reformat it.
QUOTE Thanks
juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
You should copy all the files you can off this drive, and then reformat it.
Totally agree, but remember the problem I'm having is that I'll copy as much as I can, then OS X ejects the drive. It's a huge pain.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

Ya, I'm sorry my answer was so simplistic. I'm saying I suspect the hard drive is failing, and that the files there are a lost cause. And the only way to confirm that the drive is bad is to re-format and try using it again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting up a used G4 | How to install blank Os Lion without loosing files »