New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My beloved Macbook Pro is making a sound it hasn't before...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mika.B

Mika.B is on a distinguished road

I've had my Macbook Pro 13" since around June 2010 (so I've been thrashing it for almost a year and a half).

BUT in the last few weeks, it's started making a sound it never has before. It's low in key, and it's almost like a gentle, slowish rumble or vibration noise (it doesn't actually vibrate, it just sounds like it). It reminds me of having a sore throat, the noise is raspy and...scratchy...or like a tiny dirt bike. There are random moments when the noise is louder and quicker for not more than a second. And then at times it's so quiet, it's almost not there.

It's been the perfect computer since I bought it, quiet, efficient with only the occasional freeze or heat up from having too many programs open at one time. So this is the first thing out of place- I want to make sure I tackle the issue before it becomes a problem. The software is NOT running any slower than usual.

Plus, I've dropped it once, 7 months ago. It didn't seem like any damage had been done. But now there's this noise.

Thanks for any advice you might share.
I really appreciate it
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Have you noticed the MacBook Pro getting any hotter in use? It sounds like the fan is not working properly, and I would first check for fluff blocking the airways into it.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would suspect the fan either bad or dirty . You could download iStat widget and it would show you fan speed and look at the comparison with and without noise.
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

shanlon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512

Take off the panel on the bottom and have a look for anything extraordinary.

15" 2010 Macbook Pro / i5 // 8GB RAM // 128GB SSD
Late 2009 Mac Mini // Snow Leopard Server
Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
Mika.B

Mika.B is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'm pretty much convinced it's the fan from my research so far. I have iStat, the fan speed sits on 2000rpm most of the time (I've only been able to check it while my fans been generally quiet).

I'm gonna lift the hood today and give the fan a clean, if that doesn't help- I'll probably take it into the store, computer repairs are pretty cheap here.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Won't Power On At All :( | Icloud on Imac »