New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

unnamed process in activity moinitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmanm

newmanm is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

So my computer has been having it's fans run at times when almost nothing is running (IE no programs are really launched). I checked activity moinitor and there was an unnamed (completely blank line) process at the top of the list using ~40% cpu. It's PID is 371 and it says it's part of launchd. Here's its opened files and ports:

/
/System/Library/Extensions/SMARTLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SMARTLib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
->0xffffff8016f1e340
->0xffffff8016f1e340
count=1, state=0x2

It's also considered under my processes - so not under system. I tried sampling it but it just freezes when I try.

Is this bad???!?

Please help me remove this if it is. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

kill the process, what happens?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
newmanm

newmanm is on a distinguished road

I force quit the process, and no change, nothing seems to have been affected or changed. I should add I did this when the fans had settled down a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
mattwillmarron

mattwillmarron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (Late 2011), OSX 10.9.1

I'm really new to UNIX terminal commands. I'm having the same thing - its PID is 389. Additionally, my computer name is now listed as "tony-pc", for example, "tony-pc:~ Matt$ sudo sample 389" instead of "Matthews-MacBook-Pro:~ Matt$ ping google.com" as it was yesterday. I checked System Preferences, and yep, sure enough, my computer name was supposedly still Matthew's MacBook Pro. Any idea on this?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Just checked... While I have an unnamed process on my desktop, I don't on the Macbook.
This thread: Unknown/unnamed iStat process.. help? - MacRumors Forums they seem to think it has to do with Dashboard. If that were so, why doesn't it show up on the portable. Got Dashboard running on both.
Still looking into it.

Edit: hmm.. wonder if it has to do with Time Machine? Not using it on the Macbook, am using it on the iMac.
Something to think about.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do reconnect camera for Photo Booth, etc. | OSX Mavericks - Safari Reading List Help »