New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine file deletion: Error code -8003

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Opium

Opium is on a distinguished road

I was trying to delete time machine back up files from my external hard-drive so I could clear space for other item, and dragged them into trash.

Now I can't empty trash as I get this message "The operation canít be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)." and can't send them back as you can't modify time machine files

I know I've been very very stupid, but I'm old and just need help, can anyone sort me out???

Opium
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I did that a couple of times when I was starting over fresh and wanted to get rid of the old files.

Did you try a Secure Erase from Finder File drop down? I can't remember what I did, but give that a try.
QUOTE Thanks
Opium

I get the same error message with that. I've also tried using the Terminal in utilities to delete, but no luck with that.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I will see what I can come up with and get back to you. Only once in all the times I have done that did I get that error. Been so long can't remember what I did.
QUOTE Thanks
Opium

Having just dragged Time machine files to the trash off my external hard-drive, I now can't empty the trash can. I've tried moving them back but won't let me. I've tried emptying using Terminal and Trash-it. Trash-it managed to empty non Time machine files, but they are just stuck there!

Anyone got any ideas?

Christine
QUOTE Thanks
prensesjulia

prensesjulia is on a distinguished road

I have this problem too
Only I reformatted my external HD thinking that would solve the problem, now I have 124GB 'stuck' in my Trash
QUOTE Thanks
prensesjulia

I've just found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Error -8003 or other problems with emptying the OS X Trash | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

"Trash it!" worked
QUOTE Thanks
spankler

spankler is on a distinguished road

OK, I'm game, but how did Tra****! work? The files are in the nebulous area between being on the external HD and in the trash. I can't move them back to the ext. HD as there isn't room. I've tried doing a terminal fix and also trashburner--nada. Also, I have a couple of .avi files that are in the trash (from the ext. HD and they refuse to erase as well. As a side note, does anyone actually know what error code "8003" indicate? It seems that it would be easier to craft a solution if we knew what 8003 indicated.

one by one, the penguins steal my sanity...
QUOTE Thanks
prensesjulia

I really have no idea how "Trash it" worked (I tried my very best reading up on it, but I'm not that technically minded, so in the end just trusted others in the other forum), but it did, and it's gone.

I only had to use it the once, and so far, touch wood, there's not been any side effects
QUOTE Thanks
hiproductions

hiproductions is on a distinguished road

Trash it would not clear up the - 8003 error that was preventing my trash from clearing even though it said it did. So I used the command line sudo rm -rf / and then specified each of the volumes of my mac followed by the /.Trashes and bingo bango bongo - trash is cleared.

As a sidenote, I got all happy with myself and even specified my thumb drive but forgot to put the /.Trashes and prematurely hit enter and lost everything on my thumb drive. Small price to pay to learn to be more careful and patient when using terminal.

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion hanging randomly now.. | Adobe Flash Player »