New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Memory problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

t4ggs

t4ggs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13"

Is it normal?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-21 at 4.00.57 PM.png (202.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-22 at 12.00.21 PM.png (200.0 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It is as you get older

Thanks...I'll be here all week.

In all seriousness - it might be normal - but I'm not sure we know enough about what you're doing leading up to the time you find yourself with a memory shortage. FF tends to hog memory and flash definitely ties it up. Safari 5.1 leaks memory. I would definitely restart FF.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ggs View Post
Is it normal?
I think that we need more information. Your title says "Memory Problems". What makes you think you have memory (ram) problems?

Technically no two situations are the same (different users, different apps, different usage patterns, different computer specs.)...so with this in mind...no...this is NOT "normal"...because..."What is normal?"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
It is as you get older

Thanks...I'll be here all week.
Ha ha...yes...I'll be in the front row at the next show!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
t4ggs

The thing is I have 8 Gb and they were all taken
Firefox and safari had only 1 tab opened

and the are the latest version.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

How many tabs have you had open since you launched them?

Don't know if they both have a memory leak or it's just this new fangled 2 finger swipe available in Lion that I think keeps every single page you've been to since you started them sitting in memory or some combination of the two. In any case - quit both of them. I may just have to go back to Opera.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ggs View Post
The thing is I have 8 Gb and they were all taken
Firefox and safari had only 1 tab opened

and the are the latest version.
Just restart your computer...and lots of "green" will reappear in the pie chart.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
t4ggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just restart your computer...and lots of "green" will reappear in the pie chart.

- Nick
I know, but that's just a solution for the symptom, not the disease.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The cure for the disease is not to use Safari or FF. Chrome and Opera do not have that problem. Otherwise get used to logging off and on again to regain lost memory from leakage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virus question | Mouse issues »