New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ridding my iBook of unneeded software. Need Suggestions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harrisonlace

harrisonlace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4, OSX 10.5.4. Exclusivley for music production using Ableton Live 8

Alright, so I'm running 10.5 on my iBook G4 and I want to use it solely for music, video, and pictures. I have about 5 GB left of available space and I want to start making room. I exclusively use Ableton Live 8 to produce music and occasionally iMovie, and iPhoto regularly so I would like to have space to store my projects. Also, when I'm running a Live set in Ableton it will occasionally lag a bit. Anyway I can prevent this? But basically I'd just like to know what stock programs that arent really necessary to have on my Ibook that won't hurt its performance. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, are there any popular upgrades/mods to increase performance for iBook G4's that are readily available? If so, suggestions please.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest a much bigger hard drive may be the answer to your problems as with only 5GB of free space you will get all sorts of problems, including slowdowns, freezing etc. And a G4 is getting just a little long in the tooth.

Perhaps your best option may be an external hard drive for those projects.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
harrisonlace

Mac Specs: iBook G4, OSX 10.5.4. Exclusivley for music production using Ableton Live 8

That's what I was thinking. However, I really want to get my computer working effectively, fast, and dependable. I know that it is a kind of old computer but I'm not naive to the fact that it can't run any better than it does. I just don't want to be spend $1k + on a brand new macbook pro (I'm an unemployed 16 year old), at least not right now.

Besides that, anymore ideas anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
harrisonlace

I'm just simply asking what pre-loaded programs and functions aren't necessary for operation. I would like to remove those things that aren't relevant to what I'm using my iBook for. Also, I have considered buying an external hard drive but that was out of the question/OP. I was seeking advice on how much I could possibly take off on the internal hard drive without damaging its performance. I have regrettably done it before on a previous Macintosh when I was younger, so I would like to take extreme caution this time.

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. Its the choices that makes us who we are." - Spiderman
QUOTE Thanks
harrisonlace

alright

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. Its the choices that makes us who we are." - Spiderman
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, you're not getting the picture.

There just do not exist any pre-loaded apps that take up much room - aside from Garageband and iPhoto. You can delete anything from the Applications folder you want to. Do not delete anything from the Utilities folder. Before you do, just take a look at the size of the apps you "think" you want to get rid of - you'll find the space to be insignificant related to the space you need to free up.

It is unlikely that you will find anything above maybe 2GB to delete there that came "pre-installed". Being on the creative side - 2GB is nothing - you will use that space back up in the blink of an eye...

At the amount of free space you have currently, it's likely that freeing up 2GB of space would be almost immediately eaten up be the sleep image and your virtual memory.

The only way out of your dilemma is to upgrade your existing hard drive &/or get a new external hard drive to move your data onto. And don't do either one of those until you have a spare hard drive to back up all your stuff.

Well, there is one more way - delete Ableton, iPhoto and all your music, pics and home made movies and don't create any new ones. That should free up a significant amount of space for you.

All in all, and as a parent, I don't normally recommend this, but, it's seriously time to hit the parents up for a couple of new drives. One for backup only and one for storing your data. You haven't told us what size your current drive is, but I'm guessing 120GB or less? You can get external 500GB - 1TB external drives all day long for $70-$75. It's time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harrisonlace

Thank you, that was all i needed to know and by far a more clear response than above.

QUOTE Thanks
harrisonlace

Assistance no longer needed. Thanks

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard issue | Weird Time Machine behavior »