New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can "Users" be set up on External HD? (Mac Mini)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bbffkk

bbffkk is on a distinguished road

This summer, I got a deal on a PowerPC mini (80gb) and have been happily using it in my home theater for music. Because its convenient, I've also been using it to sync my iPod (64gb... You can see what's going to happen here.

Well, I upgraded to OS5, my Mac Mini is completely filled and I'm dead in the water until my new firewire HD arrives.

I know I can set the new external drive to be the boot drive, but is it possible to set it up so the external only has the "Users" file on it. I'd rather let the Mini do the booting, keeping all the related system stuff separate from the part I'm changing and messing up (all backed up via Time MAchine, of course).

What are the steps to do this, if possible?

Thanx
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might find these directions helpful; OtherWorldComputing.com. You might also want to check out this thread for a discussion of some potential issues Moving whole Users folder to second drive - MacNN Forums

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bbffkk

Thank you Sylvester... My HD arrived today and I got it set up without a hitch. At the moment, it's contentedly syncing 14gb of songs with a gazillion gigabytes left over for future who knows what.

Christopher Stevens' article was so clear and concise, I actually managed to do it correctly in one attempt... That's never happened before... Kudos to him... Thanks again... Now bring on the cloud
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Glad to know that worked so well. I have not tried it yet but if I ever talk myself into an SSD i'll give it a shot. I thought I might try it with my network drive to have the same user accounts across all machines but I don't think it would mount fast enough when needed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bbffkk

I put an 80gb SSD into an early Macbook Pro that had been boosted to its limit, hoping the speed increase could stave off the necessity of buying yet another computer (it has). It's been running beautifully for nearly a year, using the SSD for work-in-process and an older non-firewire iBook HD for storage. Alias folder links connect the two without too much difficulty... Now I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer HD and porting the entire users drive over via firewire as per the mini. I haven't used the mini setup long enough to get a handle on all the issues, if any, but so far, its been running everything my home theater needs without any glitches. The internet can be slow, with the wheel of death popping up once in a while for a second or two, but the mini has always had that issue. It would be interesting to see if the firewire can keep up with the SSD. Maybe I'll try it if I can get permission (from the wife).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Security! | Help with Applications folders »