10-22-2011, 02:30 PM #1
bootcamp partition readable but won't boot
- Member Since
- Oct 22, 2011
Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but there are 298 threads to search through!...
MacBook Pro, 17", 2009, 8GB. Pre-installed with Leopard when bought new.
1. Soon after buying, I created a second partition, installed Windows 7 on it, and everything worked a charm. Dual-booting with ease, and I also ran VMWare Fusion successfully for a while, but had to abandon it.
2. Upgraded to Snow Leopard. Everything still worked fine.
3. Upgraded to Lion. Everything still worked fine.
4. I developed a need to downgrade from Lion to Snow Leopard (for reasons not relevant to the problem) but could not find an easy way to do it.
5. I used Disk Utility to split the Lion partition into two pieces. I installed Snow Leopard on the new empty partition. Snow Leopard now works. Lion now works. From both Snow Leopard and Lion I can see the Windows partition, and I can browse and open files on it. I can run Startup Disk in either OS/X and it offers me the option to start-up using the Windows partition.
6. When I try to boot into Windows, it fails to find a bootable partition. If I use Disk Utility, I can see the Windows partition, and if I ask it to Verify, it says "Verify volume failed - Invalid request". Finally, if I use Spotlight to look for BootCamp Assistant (per your introductory sticky), it can't find it. In fact it does not even find anything if I look for BootCamp>
Any suggestions, anyone?...
10-22-2011, 03:44 PM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 23, 2008
- Fort Worth, Texas
- 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
It sounds like you need to repair the Windows partition in order to make it bootable again. It's likely the Windows 7 boot sector has somehow gotten corrupted or the pointer file no longer points to the correct partition.
Try these instructions. Note you will need your original Windows 7 DVD. LINK
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By milomak in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM
By Tarek in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 3Last Post: 06-09-2010, 01:30 AM
By mknabster in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 3Last Post: 05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
By uwwedoogie in forum Other Hardware and PeripheralsReplies: 1Last Post: 07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
By farmcock in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 2Last Post: 01-15-2008, 12:12 PM