New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

virus question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jimsuther

Jimsuther is on a distinguished road

So I've never had any problems with my macbook virus wise but had an issue recently with my bank account being compromised online and they said it was compromised on my end but it doesn't seem to make sense. What happened is I logged into my RBC account at which point I was directed to what looked like any other RBC page telling me I needed to update my security questions. Well I did that and then had to relogin and everything seemed fine. Well I guess after that someone logged in and tried to transfer funds but they caught it and denied it. The bank told me I must have a trojan but I can't find anything. It just sounds funny to me, like their login page was hacked or something. Just curious if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this.
thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsuther View Post
So I've never had any problems with my macbook virus wise but had an issue recently with my bank account being compromised online and they said it was compromised on my end but it doesn't seem to make sense. What happened is I logged into my RBC account at which point I was directed to what looked like any other RBC page telling me I needed to update my security questions. Well I did that and then had to relogin and everything seemed fine. Well I guess after that someone logged in and tried to transfer funds but they caught it and denied it. The bank told me I must have a trojan but I can't find anything. It just sounds funny to me, like their login page was hacked or something. Just curious if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this.
thanks.
Haven't seen any new Trojans of that sort since this.

Virus Bulletin : News - Phishing trojan targets Mac OSX

If you do a thread search of the forums here you shoul find a bit more info and directions for identifying and removal.

EDIT: Here is a thread with a link to a removal tool

DNS flush on MBPro Snow Leopard

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Jimsuther

Thanks Razormac, I googled all over and couldn't find anything myself but will check out that thread. I just want to make sure its clean before I reactivate my online banking. you know they'll never admit in a million years if it was on their end.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsuther View Post
Thanks Razormac, I googled all over and couldn't find anything myself but will check out that thread. I just want to make sure its clean before I reactivate my online banking. you know they'll never admit in a million years if it was on their end.
You're welcome. And here is the other link I mentioned.
DNSChanger Trojan Horse Removal - OSX.RSPlug.A OSX/Puper OSX/Jahlav

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Just to be clear - you're not using Windows on your Mac are you? (that would change the above answers)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Suggest you have been scammed and of course the bank will deny the problem is at their end as that may well make them liable for any losses. And it will be of no value telling them you are using a Mac, as their IT staff are all Windows only experienced. Of course as gsahli says, this changes if you access your bank using Windows.

This usually comes about replying to an email that looks to be a genuine bank inquiry.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Jimsuther

Hi, no I don't run windows on here. And it wasn't an email, it was when I physically logged into their site. Thats why I'm thinking the problem is on their end not mine as yes, normally its an email as far as phishing goes.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. Banks are for suckers. Credit Unions FTW.

2. What web page were you on just before you went to your bank? Maybe that's the issue, but basically the odds are that they got hacked and their front page had a bad link put on it which you fell into (or you fell for a fake popup).

3. There's no such thing as a Mac OS X virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
1. Banks are for suckers. Credit Unions FTW.
Another one of your rash statements? Or are you just wanting to insult everyone who uses a bank rather than a credit union?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« im in abit of a mess! | Memory problems »