New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

password in imac4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wolf234

wolf234 is on a distinguished road

I have had a imac/SG945AT2G42 donated to the Boys and Girls Club that I work at in Maryland. The person who donated the imac did not leave the operating disc or any information to contact them. I would like to get this updated and when I went to update it has a password. What I am looking for is a way to either get the os disc or a way to bypass the password. We have a new Imac flat screen that was donated las t year and I would like to show the children how the mac has evolved over the years. Thanks for any help in this matter
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well it depends on what sort of protection has been set up. Normal administrator password can be got around by using an install disc by this:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

Depending on the model, Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion would be a good system install.

If firmware password protection has been set up, big problems alas:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
wolf234

wolf234 is on a distinguished road

I dont have the install disk it looks like same password for admin and user. Thanks Tim how can I get an install disc.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Depends on what operating system you want to buy. Snow Leopard will only install on Intel machines, Lion on Core 2 Duo, and Leopard on machines, including G4 and G5's with an 867MHz processor or faster. Apple sells Lion and Snow Leopard on Lion, Leopard will be a search of auction sites such as eBay.

If you go this way make sure you purchase a full retail install DVD which is black coloured, and not a silver/grey disc which are extremely model specific. If the machine boots, go into 'About this Mac' under the Apple icon in the menu bar and it will say OS X and then the version number.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Migration Assistant question | Os x 10.5.5 »