New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PLEASE HELP - startup disk, where's my hard drive??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jh87

jh87 is on a distinguished road

I'd been trying to upgrade from tiger 10.4.11 to snow leopard, had install issues, looked around on the web for help, and one of the suggestions was to partition and zero out the hd. So I did that and the install still failed with the same message that not all the files could be installed. Whatever.

ANYWAY, the big problem now is that I don't know what to do. Previously, after trying several times to install, then getting fed up with it, I'd select my os from the startup disk options, and that would just reboot my computer normally. NOW, that's no longer an option - if I got to utilities -> startup disk, the only options that appear are the SL install disk and network startup. When I've tried rebooting my macbook while holding down the trackbad to eject the disk, then I just get a gray screen with a blinking folder symbol and question mark.

Thankfully, I copied everything to my external, but I can't do anything with it now if I can't even get to my actual hd!

I have a 15" macbook pro from Aug 2006. I don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP!!! I'm going crazy/freaking out. (Also, sorry if I used the wrong wording for certain things...please let me know I was unclear as to what I'm referring to.)
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

shanlon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512

First, you need to have some patience. You won't be able to follow logic or think clearly and miss big details when you're frustrated and impatient. This is not the end of the world, and the sooner you accept that, we will be able to get this fixed. The definition of crazy is repeating the same steps and expecting a different result

Now, as we currently stand, you have a 2006 model Macbook Pro and a Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail Install Disk?

Make sure the disk is formatted as pictured below. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID Partition Table

If so, let's move forward with some more questions. Have you tried a 'customized' install? This is a button on the lower left before you choose the hard drive to install too. Uncheck all boxes here and try to install again and report back.
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Hi Shanlon - thanks for replying!

Yes, it's the retail disk, purchased straight from Apple.

I've actually tried doing the custom install (unchecking all the boxes I could) before and after partitioning. Both times, it just reduced the initial install time, but ultimately stalled and gave me that same message that it could not copy all the files.

I also just tried doing a safe boot and resetting the nvram/pram (as instructed on the apple website), but that didn't seem to do anything either. I think I'm going to try to go find that original os install disk that came with my mac. Maybe it'll help?

I've never had any other issues with my mac, except for the battery, which needs to be plugged in to an outlet at all times - otherwise it'll power off immediately.

Thanks for your help, and any further advice would be very much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Sorry, I forgot to add, that that's what my screen looks like too, but with a different message at the right.
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

When the install fails, can you take a picture of it with a smartphone or something? You can also see the installer log, and show errors only. If you can save that to a flash drive and upload it here I can review. The retail install disk has no scratches, right?
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Maybe I'm just being ridiculous, but how do I upload something here? I took the pictures with my iphone and then emailed them to myself, but there's no upload option here. Should I just open them up in a new window and paste the links here?
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Ok, hopefully this will work - here are the pictures (the install failure screen is sideways)

the rest of the log that got cut off:
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

I'm sorry but your images don't show up. Please use photobucket.com and copy/paste the 'IMG' URL that it gives you. Then it will appear in this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Here they are again:

the rest of the log that got cut off:

oh, also, the install disk is clean and without scratches. Thanks again for the help
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

Boot back into your install disk and run 'Verify Disk' in disk utility.

Based on the error message, it's an input/output error. So either a problem with your DVD drive reading the files properly, or the hard drive not communicating with the DVD properly.

Might as well upload a picture as well just in case, so I can see if there are any red flags with your setup.

15" 2010 Macbook Pro / i5 // 8GB RAM // 128GB SSD
Late 2009 Mac Mini // Snow Leopard Server
Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

Good. I should have told you to do this before, but now click on the DVD drive and also do the same verify. We want to make sure the I/O error is due to the DVD drive or the disk itself, hard drive looks fine.

Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
jh87

Hm, it seems it won't let me verify...

QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

****. Based on all the info you provided, it feels like an issue with the DVD drive. Have you been able to make good burns on it lately, or do you even use it?

My next suggestion would be to pickup a firewire DVD drive at a bestbuy or something that you can plugin and boot to. You can just return it when you're done.

Do a little googling about which drives support booting with this method.

What are the specs of your Macbook? CPU/RAM? Maybe you can just pick up a Lion install USB drive instead if it meets the specs. Replacing the optical drive might be tough and more expensive.

Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

Do you have another mac you can test this install disk on?

Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installer and programs continually crash - Please help | Ripping DVDS to iPad/lion »