New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

hard drive backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

what would be the best way too make a complete copy of my hard drive, OS and all, to have as an emergency backup for if my hard drive failed ? external ?
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

shanlon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512

Use a mac with at least Leopard 10.5.8 and use Time Machine. Hook up an external hard drive and tell Time Machine to back up to it.

If it ever fails, boot to your Leopard install disk, and choose to restore from a time machine backup.

15" 2010 Macbook Pro / i5 // 8GB RAM // 128GB SSD
Late 2009 Mac Mini // Snow Leopard Server
Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Another option is to use Carbon Copy Cloner which allows you to make a bootable copy of your HD.
http://www.bombich.com/index.html

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Or ... Make a bootable clone of your hard drive using SuperDuper!
SuperDuper!

Also, have a look at this sticky.
Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Hope this helps.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And Carbon Copy Cloner was just updated yesterday to now include cloning the hidden Lion Recovery partition.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I use both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner just for good measure.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Cloning is much better as either CC or SuperDuper will make a complete copy on to the external hard drive and this will then be bootable. Time Machine is not bootable

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Cloning is much better as either CC or SuperDuper will make a complete copy on to the external hard drive and this will then be bootable. Time Machine is not bootable
I wouldn't say it's better, I would just say that it's more convenient. Time machine uses versioning so you can restore back to specific periods of time. If you do something to jack up your Mac OS X install and clone it over, then both are jacked. It's faster to get up and running with a cloned disk, but safer to use time machine.

Using both is obviously the best way to go.

Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And Time Machine is still not bootable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
shanlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And Time Machine is still not bootable.
I never claimed that it was, and you already stated that it wasn't.

Drobo FS - 9.02TB
iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'm literally in the middle of doing this very thing right this second. Just got my OWC 2TB drive - and made 3 partitions. 1 for TM backup, 1 for the current SL clone and 1 for the future Lion clone.

My MBP has a similar setup on its own external.

Yes - I should have had the iMac backed up long ago - but I was convinced that I'd be getting a Thunderbolt drive - until they came out and cost as much as they do.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

all right no more arguing, any way what i did for now is use CCC and copy my 1st 750Gb hard drive to my second 750Gb hard, it was bare. so now i have two startup disks. no sure if this was the right way to backup my drive but seemed good at the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 10.5 Lion's new annoying intro screen | Problems with loading osx 10.4 on an ibook g4 »