New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebray09

ebray09 is on a distinguished road

My parents just bought a Power Mac G5 for my younger brother and sister to use from Printer Ink & Toner Cartridges, HDMI Cables, iPhone iPad Accessories and more | 123 Ink Cartridges Canada. The computer while in excellent condition is a bit dated and is still OS 10.3.9. I realize that upgrading further could start to slow down the computer however the only real use they need it for is using web based browser games that require a newer OS than the ancient one its currently using. I've looked everywhere including the apple website and while I can easily find the subsequents updates for tiger... I can't find the initial Tiger download. Can I upgrade any further or is the computer doomed to be stuck at 10.3.9?

PowerMac G5
Duel 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache 512
Memory 2GB DD SDRAM
Bus 900MHz
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebray09 View Post
I've looked everywhere including the apple website and while I can easily find the subsequents updates for tiger... I can't find the initial Tiger download. Can I upgrade any further or is the computer doomed to be stuck at 10.3.9?
There are no free updates for Tiger...you need to purchase a Tiger install disk. e-Bay is your best bet. Buy a black disk (not gray/silver)...and be prepared to spend around $80.00 bucks.

If you don't purchase a Tiger install disk...then yes...this Powermac G5 is "doomed" to be stuck with OS 10.3.9.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

It will be more expensive but I would recommend Leopard over Tiger. Apple no longer provides updates for Tiger and current versions of Safari and iTunes will not install on Tiger machines meaning that if you have an IOS device, you won't be able to sync it with that machine.

edit.
I missed some of the stuff in the original post. If you are going to try and access any flash based websites with this machine, you are going to run into a lot of issues as Flash is no longer supported on any PPC based Mac. It's a big reason why my G4 hasn't been turned on in some time.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
It will be more expensive but I would recommend Leopard over Tiger.
Great idea! Might as well go all the way to Leopard (assuming no software compatibility issues for the OP). If someone is going to spend $80 on Tiger...might as well pay $100 for Leopard instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Apple no longer provides updates for Tiger and current versions of Safari and iTunes will not install on Tiger machines meaning that if you have an IOS device, you won't be able to sync it with that machine.
This pretty much applies to Leopard as well.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Another vote for Leopard which is the last operating system the G5 can run. The black retail install DVD will set you back around the $100 mark. Do not buy a silver/grey model specific, update or so called or drop in discs. None of these will work.

And you do have to purchase Leopard from an auction site, no downloads at all unless you go to a pirate site and then you may well download all sorts of malware hacks so do not even consider it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ebray09

I was under the impression that to go Leopard I would have to instal tiger first... and then leopard. Regardless, I somehow came across a copy of tiger and it installed just fine. The system is updating now and I plan on installing leopard as soon as possible.... assuming I can get a copy of it. I'll use my phone-a-friend lifeline before I resort to buying. But thanks for all the advice folks its all much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I was under the impression that to go Leopard I would have to instal tiger first... and then leopard. Regardless, I somehow came across a copy of tiger and it installed just fine. The system is updating now and I plan on installing leopard as soon as possible.... assuming I can get a copy of it. I'll use my phone-a-friend lifeline before I resort to buying. But thanks for all the advice folks its all much appreciated.
FYI...if your using "copies" of Apple OS disks...or using someone else's OS install disks...that's a violation of Apple's EULA.

That's why we are advising purchasing your own OS install disks. "Phone a friend"...is not the proper OS upgrade method!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ebray09

Oh wow, didn't realize... guess going cheap just isn't an option.
QUOTE Thanks
ebray09

Well to make things clear my family has owned macs since 92' so we've racked up a few instal disks over the years its just a matter of looking. I eventually found it in a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory behind a door that said "Beware of the tiger". Have to admit its kind of frustrating to deal with getting instal disks that we've owned over again. I ended up having a kernel panic a couple weeks ago when I tried to download a patch to run 256 colours to play the original fallout. Cost me 75$ from an authorized apple dealer to stick snow leopard in(didn't even get to keep the disklol). I like what Blizzard does once the product is registered you can just download it again off their website in case you lose the product or the CD key. I suppose I could always just be more careful where I put things but after two or three moves over the years... the dust builds.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Have to admit its kind of frustrating to deal with getting instal disks that we've owned over again.
I'm not sure if you're getting Nick's point. Just because you owned a disc does not mean you have the license to install its contents on as many computers as you want. In the old days (pre-Lion) any OS disc had only one license. So, you could legally use it on only one computer. Once you wiped that computer, you were free to install it on another computer. You just couldn't do it on two at the same time - legally. That still applies to those older discs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Missing hard drive space | Making Downloads Folder overwrite existing files instead of replacing them »