New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Terminal console hanging in Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gpr78

gpr78 is on a distinguished road

I usually just use Terminal to connect to and map shared drives on my office network. I'm not sure what I've done recently, but now whenever I open Terminal, the console just hangs and eventually the entire system locks up.

There's no $ prompt which is what I usually see when I open Terminal.

I can eventually use Force Quit to shut it down, but other programs will run extremely slowly or hang until I restart.

I've tried deleting the plist entry in Library, but that hasn't worked. I've downloaded iTerm and the same thing happens with that.

I've had Activity Monitor open before I've opened Terminal, but there's no spike in CPU usage - it just registers as not responding.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

did you make any changes to a .profile etc recently?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

Not intentionally - I'm a newbie and I don't know how to do anything in Terminal that I haven't been given clear instructions for

The only other thing I can think of that I have used Terminal for is to show hidden files (I wanted to find a .htaccess I'd created).

The lines I used were:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, that won't do it.

When terminal is 'hung' what happens if you hit ctrl-c ?

Do you get a prompt?

If you do, do a ls -al and show anything that's prefaced with a .

We'll go from there.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

actually I don't get anything happening.

^C came up on the console, and I hit return.
I tried ls -al and return, and nothing happened.

Then everything started locking up again.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Hrm, ok.. so we can't break whatever process is trying to load. Let's try this...

create a new user, see if the same thing happens in Terminal. If it doesn't it's something about this user.. Then we can start checking the usual culprits.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

here's a screenshot of what I get before everything locks up.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-20 at 3.04.47 PM.png (14.6 KB, 26 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I was going to suggest that this may be a setting with Terminal but if you're experiencing the same issue with iTerm, it's clear that this is an issue with Bash.

Move your .bash_profile out of your home directory (or rename it), quit Terminal and restart it. Does that work?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Yea, that's where I was going. Basically if another user worked.. it's an easy sudo mv /Users/<uname>/.bash_profile /Users/<uname>/bash_profile.foo

But you know me and the gui I'm not sure how to show hidden files without the CLI method.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I figure since hidden files were now shown in Finder (as post #3 would suggest), a quick rename/move could be done. I could be wrong though (it doesn't happen much ).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I figure since hidden files were now shown in Finder (as post #3 would suggest), a quick rename/move could be done. I could be wrong though (it doesn't happen much ).
GAH! You, sir, are absolutely correct

I hate it when I do that.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
GAH! You, sir, are absolutely correct

I hate it when I do that.
Uh-oh, more for my ego. This can't be good. Haha.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

Actually guys, hidden files aren't shown! Although I ran that line of code, something didn't work out right, so I still can't see hidden files
Any idea of how I can get to my bash profile without making that change through Terminal?

The problem is with my work mac, so I'll try the new user thing on Monday now I'm less busy, but if there's a way to get to the bash profile I'll do that first.
Thanks again for your help, guys.
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

Ok, so I tried moving the bash_profile, but it didn't work Nothing happened. Everything locked up again.

I also created a new user and opened terminal in that account and it was working fine, so I think your diagnosis is correct! How do I fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
gpr78

Here's what I get when I try to move the bash_profile in my normal account. Forgot to change <uname> in the first instance
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 9.25.36 AM.png (30.2 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBookPro Stuck in XP Bootcamp | My dock won't unlock :( »