New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

transferring from Word to iAwriter for iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cjlinstrum

cjlinstrum is on a distinguished road

I use iAwriter on the iPad and I want to a transfer Word file from the computer to the iPad. I'm supposed to save it as a .txt file, using unicode utf-16 Big-Endian. But for some reason Word doesn't give me this option, (only utf-8 and little-endian amongst others) and the files open as blank on the iPad. It's very frustrating and I don't understand it at all. Can anyone out there help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just save the file as plain text or use RTF. You should then be able to open and edit the file on your iPad. I'm not familiar with iAwriter but iWork Pages for the iPad can open and edit Word files easily.
QUOTE Thanks
cjlinstrum

Thanks for the reply chscag. It doesn't work as rtf and the iAwriter instructions say to save as a .txt file in Big-Endian unicode - which my version of Word doesn't offer as an option when I save a text file. It's really odd. I was wondering if there was a way of getting more options within Word...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's why I suggested you switch to using a better WP program for your iPad. iWork Pages works best. And no, Word options are what they are, you can't add to them.
QUOTE Thanks
cjlinstrum

Thanks - I'll try Pages.
QUOTE Thanks
D'flavor

D'flavor is on a distinguished road

Hi, i was like you. this is so simple I said this was what I wanted, and then sought ways to bring in my words doc. i didn't give up. yes I prayed and inspiration came.

when you save your doc, select plain text and click save. A box opens. go to the code drop select. and look out for unicode big-endian (without the 16). close close and then enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule vs. Airport Extreme | separating file types in OSX 10.7 »