New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trying to reset SMC (I think!!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kerrigor

kerrigor is on a distinguished road

Evening all,

My MacBook Pro has just turned extremely slow for no apparent reason, and the fan is really noisy.

I also cannot turn the machine off, every time I do it just restarts.

I'm running OS-X Lion 10.7.2.0.

After looking at various forums and posts and whatnot, I discovered this site:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Though this seemed to be the right way to go, so far nothing has been changed and I have tried a few times, and I suspect that this is because I have to hard shut down the computer because I cannot figure out how to shut it down using normal means.

Please help!

Thanks,
Kerrigor
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Does it power off by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds? If so.. then yes, the SMC reset is the place to go... I'd ALSO reset the PRAM.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
kerrigor

Okay did PRAM reset then SMC reset then PRAM again....NADA:/

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, next up would be deleting preferences...

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

would be the location of the preference files in question, I believe. Personally, I'd just delete (or rename/move) the entire folder and reboot. It'll recreate the preferences on boot.. but you'll have to rejoin networks etc

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
kerrigor

Done that, then restarted and have also dled a fan speed manager and changed settings there.

My next step is to create a new user and see if its the same when logged in as them, as well as finding out if it's better in safe mode.

My problem is that the charger has now stopped working, it works intermittently and I really cannot figure out what is going on with it.

It can be connected but not charging, but it takes a while of wiggling it around for that, and then i try turning it off and on at the wall but it loses the connection. I am really not impressed with this Mac!

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Kerrigor
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem dual booting macbook with xp sp3 | n00b question...be gentle »