New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ibook G4 problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brians_ona_boat

brians_ona_boat is on a distinguished road

I have an Ibook G4 with 10.4.11 installed, lately I haven't been able to start the computer up, it gets stuck at startup on the gray Apple screen with spinning wheel below. I was wondering how I get the files like movies, music, pics and stuff to my iMac G5 and can I connect the computers move the files and then format my HDD on the ibook so that I can do an OS re-install?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have the new 4S and can't update and sync anything.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

It sounds like the os is corrupt, if you have a FireWire cable you can. Use target disk mode to boot up the computer and get the files off the iBooks drive. Also you cannot sync iOS 5 with tiger I am pretty sure you need leopard or higher or a pc with xp or higher. You can then boot the ibook so that you restore it.
QUOTE Thanks
brians_ona_boat

Ok, would you reccomend that I install Leopard then on the iBook? It has the 1.42 ghz ppc processor and 1.5Gb Ram, will it run smoothly?? I might also upgrade the hard drive, reccomendations appreciated??
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I would say you could it might be a little leggy compared to tiger. It might be hard/expensive to get leopard. I am going to install leopard on my iBook when I get the money.
QUOTE Thanks
brians_ona_boat

Well I have already started the "chore" of taking the g4 apart, I was thinking on removing the hard drive, using a data transfer cable to transfer the files to the iMac g5 then replace the hard drive in the G4 with an SSD and then installing leopard, I know i'm looking at more $$$ but that's ok, I was hoping the addition of the SSD would also help the G4 run more smoothly and fluid. Thoughts??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians_ona_boat View Post
...I was hoping the addition of the SSD would also help the G4 run more smoothly and fluid. Thoughts??
BIG BIG BIG waste of money! The SSD will cost you more than the value of the computer. Plus you need a 2.5" "IDE" laptop HD...and I'm not even sure you can get an "IDE" SSD drive.

If you can...it will be much more expensive than the more commonly available (and still expensive) SATA SSD laptop drives.

Edit: Just did a little research. You can get an IDE (PATA) 2.5" SSD drive...but it's only 32gig & $116.47:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB.../dp/B000T9QRKE

Here's a 16gig IDE SSD for $196.99:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...998&CatId=5301

- Nick

p.s. FYI...Your computer is worth about $150 (maybe less).

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Some may tell you otherwise but here is my take.

You own the 14" iBook, the very last one made before the Intel Macs took over. I own the same machine but the 12" with the 1.33Ghz G4 and 1.5GB RAM and newer 120GB hard drive. It's running the latest 10.5 Leopard 10.5.8. It's a bit slower in some things then 10.4 Tiger but.... Tiger is getting old and many apps will not run, especially newer versions and even some sites will have issues in Safari. I would go with Leopard and you will have a more compatible OS. It's not that bad but a little pause here and there loading some things. I would never go back to Tiger on my iBook and I use it all the time.

Keep us posted how it all goes. Only thing is 10.5 is not cheap! Check Ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agree with Nick on the not getting the SSD. Will try and find a IDE 2.5" drive for you.

Here you go. Here is a list of PATA 2.5" drive on New Egg. I would go with the first WD drive to save some $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX and legacy apps | grey desktop after connecting macbook pro to HDMI tv »