New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Os x 10.5.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clicketyclack

clicketyclack is on a distinguished road

I just inherited an IBook G4, the last version, and need to update the OS to 10.5. I have a copy of 10.5.5, but the disc says its for MacBook Pro, will this still install on the iBook or do I need to get a different copy?
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

It should be able to install as long as it is the 10.5 Universal Binary. You can always just pop it in and try to boot to it.

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

MacBook disc will never work. The silver grey discs are extremely model specific as you will find out. Look for a retail install DVD, black, and do not buy another silver/grey disc. Hold your breath as Leopard still fetches well over the $100 mark.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There's no such thing as an OS X disc that is "named" Universal Binary.
According to my memory, you'll not find anything on the disc or the original box that says "universal binary".

There are the retail copies (black) and there are the copies that shipped with individual computers (grey). There are also drop in copies of upgrade discs for Leopard (these are black also) that were provided with Macs that shipped with Tiger after Leopard was released. These require that 10.4 already be installed.

A disc (the grey ones) that shipped with an individual computer will only work on other "same model" Macs. So one that says it is for a MBP, will not work on your G4. Or for that matter, on any model Mac except the same model MBP with which it shipped.

One of those 'drop in' discs - it won't work on your G4 either - not only do they require you to have 10.4 installed on the machine, but they are all Intel only as well. I do not know if these drop in discs are model specific or not.

You will need a black retail copy of Leopard (which incidentally, would be a universal binary and can be installed on both PPC and Intel Macs) to install it onto your G4.

The retail disc will be in a box that looks like this:

Those drop in discs, they shipped in a plain black wrapping. So make sure you get one like the above.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
clicketyclack

ok, dang. will i be able to pick up OS X 10.5 at the apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No. You can try calling Apple customer support and see if they're still selling Leopard but I'm betting they're no longer available. Like Harry advised above you probably will need to find a copy on eBay - and also like he said, it will be expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

My mistake Universal binary is only for applications not for osx installation discs.

Universal binary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks
clicketyclack

ok, after looking a little more, i'm a little more confused. do i need to buy a disc of 10.5, or will something like 10.5.5 (or whichever updated version) work?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« password in imac4 | iTunes verification e mail »