New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why is my disk space so limited? Discrepancies in distribution/amount of files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jarhead

Jarhead is on a distinguished road

I originally posted this on yahoo answers, but when an error in their site stopped me from doing that effectively, I joined these forums.

I have a Macbook Pro with an i7 processor, running OS X Lion 10.7.1, 4GB ram, etc, with a 120GB solid state hard drive.

I have been clearing out files to free up space, but for some reason I still do not have very much! I cannot account for the discrepancy between the amount of files I have on my computer and the amount of space occupied on my hard drive. I have tried a few programs to help me understand this, and as you can see if you look at my linked picture, these programs have helped to highlight a strange discrepancy. If you look at the numbers across the screen, you can see a lot of information about my data distribution, and it does not add up logically.

Can someone provide insight?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9894/computerissue.png

Let me reiterate ... this will not make sense if you do not look at that link in which my picture is enclosed.

Also, for some reason, there is a large folder that is either private or is called 'private' which was created this August (a year after I bought the computer) and is 5.8gb. I assume since it was created in August that it is not a vital system file that my computer has been relying on the whole time -

So, how do I delete it,
and what is it?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Under the About this Mac, more info section, what's under storage?

Is a bunch of it in Backup?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
I originally posted this on yahoo answers, but when an error in their site stopped me from doing that effectively, I joined these forums.
I wouldn't say this is exactly the best way to introduce yourself!!!

How are we supposed to react to this statement???...since as you stated...Mac-Forums was your 2nd choice to find help (and only after Yahoo Answers had a site error)???

Kind of like saying..."I wanted a T-bone steak...but I guess a hamburger will do!"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Jarhead

Jarhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I wouldn't say this is exactly the best way to introduce yourself!!!

How are we supposed to react to this statement???...since as you stated...Mac-Forums was your 2nd choice to find help (and only after Yahoo Answers had a site error)???

Kind of like saying..."I wanted a T-bone steak...but I guess a hamburger will do!"

- Nick
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I was just explaining that I was a new user of this forums. I don't belong to any other mac forums and this was my first choice among them. Yahoo Answers is good too, and it's what I have more experience with. But it proved unreliable.

I followed the above instructions:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8...11018at401.png

Not a lot of backup, but a lot of "Other" stuff... I don't know what that is but it is certainly disturbing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with FindMyMac!! | Mac won't recognise printer! »