New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X 10.6.8 Crash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

silverback

silverback is on a distinguished road

My system has begun to crash. I'm running 10.6.8 on a MacBook with 4GB RAM that has been running fine for years. There seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing and when it crashes. The console shows the same error message:

MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/mM/mMrE79I7HvWfkulL23pdK++++TM/-Caches-//mds

This error message comes from Google Chrome or eaopleclient or GrowlHelperApp or iTunes or mdworker or loginwindow. Basically anything that's running at the time.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks very much,
Sean
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Growl may well be the problem, just do a Google on Growl causing system crash.

Also boot from your system install disk and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Hard drive may also be the villain.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Growl may well be the problem, just do a Google on Growl causing system crash.

Also boot from your system install disk and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Hard drive may also be the villain.
Thanks for your reply. Hard drive is fine apparently. Quit Growl, removed from login items, logged back in and a few minutes later I crashed again. So Growl isn't the problem either

Do you have any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You may be looking at a clean install and then add your applications/utilities one at a time until you find the culprit. Was easier is Classic days could boot with extensions turned off, turn them on one at a time until the culprit revealed itself.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
silverback

Ain't that some ... well thanks for your help man I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help, MacBook Pro problem | Recommended way to auto-start postfix »