New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Shrinking Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BrenGun

BrenGun is on a distinguished road

Over the summer I had roughly 225G of a 500G HD left. Then I dropped below 200 which was due to alot of image scanning and adding photos and getting Aperture. But after this about for the past 6 weeks or so my hard drive has been steadily shrinking by itself to the point where I can watch it drop while I am not physically doing anything. I did some looking into it and found that its happened to other people and that it may be due to a growing error log file? I used Grand Perspective to find out that a couple of the largest unknown files are 'private/var/log/kernel.log.0' weighing in at 57.5G! and the smaller private/var/log/kernel.log.1' at 9.33G and private/var/vm/sleepimage' at 4G. What are these and can they be trashed and what can I do before I completely run out of hard drive space?
I was down as far as 137G as of yesterday and after a restart I'm back up slightly to 142G...
QUOTE Thanks
zeeshan_ali2525

zeeshan_ali2525 is on a distinguished road

I order to change a partition, you must format the drive. You will lose all information on that drive.

[URL=http://www.infylogix.com/]Infysource [URL=http://infysource-1.blogspot.com/]Infysource
QUOTE Thanks
BrenGun

Hmmm.... I used Console to read the kernal logs and '0' consists of a repetition of the following:
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: restarting journal replay (74832896 - 76141056)!
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: from: 74832896 to: 7em.fs] [DevNode devfs] [MountPt /dev] [Path /dev/disk2s2] [FSLogMsgID 387462648] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: do_jnl_io: strategy err 0x5
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: Could not read block list header strategy err 0x5
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: Could not read block list header block @ 0x475dc00!
Oct 16 11:57:11 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: restarting journal replay (74832896 - 76141056)!

and the smaller number 1:

err 0x5
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: Could not read block list header block @ 0x475dc00!
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: restarting journalSLogMsgOrder First]
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: do_jnl_io: strategy err 0x5
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: Could not read block list header block ] [LBlkNum 205670] [FSLogMsgID 277160645] [FSLogMsgOrder First]
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: do_jnl_io: strategy err 0x5
Oct 4 17:52:19 brendan-t-burkes-macbook-pro kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: replay_journal: Could not read block list header block @ 0x475dc00!

I think that these are related to a couple of restarts that did not go correctly. I had to do a hard restart with the power key. So, two questions, anyone have an idea of what these kernel panics are about and can I just dump the logs?
QUOTE Thanks
BrenGun

Change a partition? I don't want to format my drive, just find out why if I can dump these log files... Been trying Terminal right now but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
I thought that it was:
cd /private/var/log
sudo rm -i kernel.log.1
but Terminal just says no such file or directory...?
QUOTE Thanks
BrenGun

Never mind... I deleted that one and got the 10G back, now for the '0' one.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The sleep image one is normal at 3-4GB after you've been booted up for awhile. That's the file that allows the machine to go to sleep and then wake up in the same place.

You should be able to delete both of the log files - but I would use Onyx to do it.

Since you've done some hard restarts and those particular errors, I'd also boot up with your OS X disc and run the Repair Permissions and Repair Drive from Disk Utility.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BrenGun

Thanks, Bobtomay. I did and recovered some 70G all told! I think that I'll do that, but what is Onyx?
QUOTE Thanks
BrenGun

Never mind again, I think that I found it and it looks like a handy app. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac pixel problem | Mac Lion server for pushing images to labs »