New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Two files on desktop after showing hidden folders.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I had to access the main library folder in OS X Lion, so I revealed hidden folders. Since then, I've just kept them showing, but there are these two files ".DS_Store" and ".localized" on my desktop that I'd like to get rid of if possible. I'm not sure what they're for so I didn't want to just delete them. Can someone give me the "all clear" to remove these files so my desktop can be a bit neater? Thanks.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep those should be there. If you delete them, they'll just reappear

If you want a 'clean' desktop turn off show hidden files. The behavior is the same in windows btw, you just have different filenames (for instance, desktop.ini, etc)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep - for myself, it's a bad idea to have hidden files showing all the time, and I'm in them a lot. Just the whole thing of having to turn it on and back off is a good reminder to myself to make sure I realize where I am and what I'm about to mess with.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yep - for myself, it's a bad idea to have hidden files showing all the time, and I'm in them a lot.
Agreed - they're hidden for a reason.

The files you see are normal. The .DS_Store stores the attributes of the folder that it is located in and the .localized file contains localization information (info that pertains to the naming of content in different languages). As noted above, if you don't want to see them, you have no choice but to rehide files.

A tip: to get to any folder in Finder, simply push Shift-Command-G and manually enter the folder name.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Found a way to hide the rest of the files, but keep my user library file available. That's the folder I need access to. The rest can go back and die. Thanks for the input.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switching Desktops w/ Gestures | Windows 7 onto Macbook Pro 10.7.2 »