New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is Lion stable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timeferret

timeferret is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"

When Lion OS was launched, I read the reviews at the time and I saw there were a number of folks claiming that it caused problems on their imacs.
Many wished they never installed it and resorted back to Snow Leopard.

What is the state of play now?

You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.
Homer Simpson
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Only been using it for a few hours. I had the same reservations as you but I had to install it to cure some iOS5/iCloud problems that I was having. It looks and operates great to me and everything now syncs wonderfully over wireless and the screen/desktop enhancements are excellent with a magic trackpad. I'm still finding my way around it but so far I am impressed.
The download/install process can be quite slow. Once I started to download it it launched a Lion icon into my dashboard with a status bar but after about 30 minutes it came up with an error about the connection and would I like to re-try which I did. The Lion icon then disappeared but App store still said it was 'Installing" although there was no evidence of this. I decided to leave it and I'm glad I did because about an hour later it launched the install automatically.
It is quite long winded but to be honest for 21 I'm definitely not complaining.
If you are going to do it, do a back up, run a software update, repair disk permissions etc beforehand.
One anomaly I had was with iTunes when I launched it it said that the OS didn't recognise that version and needed to update it even though I'd run a software update beforehand,it was probably something to do with my botched iOS5/iCloud install.
Your specs look good for Lion by the way...to be honest looking at the way Apple software and enhancements are going resistance would be futile.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
maximillian93

maximillian93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" i5 macbook pro

where did you download it from?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeferret View Post
When Lion OS was launched, I read the reviews at the time and I saw there were a number of folks claiming that it caused problems on their imacs.
Many wished they never installed it and resorted back to Snow Leopard.

What is the state of play now?
Very stable for me .... no issues what so ever.
Best upgrade ever.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It feels pretty much the same as Snow Leopard. There are a few cosmetic changes and new features that I don't really use. IE Launchpad.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
It feels pretty much the same as Snow Leopard. There are a few cosmetic changes and new features that I don't really use. IE Launchpad.
Agreed. All in all I would have been just as happy staying with Snow Leopard had it not been for the Lion requirement for continued cloud based push support.

I still need to retest battery life, last time I tried it was still worse. I've ended up disabling Time Machine etc all in an effort to cut down on processor cycles.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Mine has been stable so far did the upgrade from day 1 and I removed non compatible apps before hand.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Agreed. All in all I would have been just as happy staying with Snow Leopard had it not been for the Lion requirement for continued cloud based push support.
Yes - that's what's going to push me to Lion soon also. :sigh: Probably as soon as my 4s gets here - which is likely still a few weeks away.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximillian93 View Post
where did you download it from?
The App Store UK

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to install OS X on fresh HDD? (No other Mac to use.) | Automatic switch from caps to sentence letters as in Windows »