can't install Mac OS X on iBook G4
    I could not install OS X 10.4.3 ("Tiger") on an iBook G4 with the hard drive wiped clean and no operating system. The iBook's drive OS 1 was unmounted and not repairable or restorable, and the other drive "Untitled" had 40GB available. However, when trying to install OS X Tiger, I received an error that there was not enough memory to do the install even though the OS requires less than 5 GB. Using the install disk as a startup disk just took me to the install procedure. Any ideas how to get the install to work, or is OS X 10.4.3 too advanced to install on this iBook?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Tell us about the Tiger disk. No a silver/grey model specific disc by any chance? You do require the black full retail install DVD.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

The Untitled drive has 39 GB, Tiger only requires 5 GB. But I do not know what you mean by not enough room. The drive is empty. I think the problem may be that Tiger won't load on a drive named Untitled and I need to change its name, or it wants to load on the drive OS 1 but I do not know how to activate or mount that drive.

Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.[/QUOTE]

It is a black disc with a gray X, and says it is an Install DVD that includes Xcode 2.

Tell us about the Tiger disk. No a silver/grey model specific disc by any chance? You do require the black full retail install DVD.[/QUOTE]

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Not enough memory or not enough room? There is a difference.... Tiger should be able to install on that iBook if it meets the memory requirements.
    I think chscag was referring to the fact that Tiger needs at least 256mb RAM to install.
    How much RAM does the machine have?

Cheers

Hugh
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Warning - this user has only a little knowledge

It looks like I have two memory slots, one "DIMM0" called "built-in" with 128 MB and "DIMM1" with 512 DDR SDRAM. If the problem is the OS disk is only trying to load on the 128 MB slot, do you know how to refer it to the 512 MB instead? Thanks.

Specs:
    2008 Unibody MacBook / 2009 White MacBook / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"
    No, you have plenty of memory (RAM) installed to run Tiger; it will use a combination of the total rather than picking a particular slot to work from

Cheers

Hugh
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    Warning - this user has only a little knowledge

Thread Information