New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iCloud with 10.6.8??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Westong

Westong is on a distinguished road

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on my work owned macbook pro. Don't think we're updating to lion anytime soon.

Can I still use iCloud?

I have iOS 5 on my iPhone 3GS and iPad 1.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

This should answer your question.

It will work but only two out of the three devices.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not right now. But read this rumor which apparently has some basis in fact:

LINK
QUOTE Thanks
FlyingPigsRule

FlyingPigsRule is on a distinguished road

Have OS X 10.6.8 and seemed to have no choice but to take iCloud and iOS5 but also am stuck w/ not having Lion and am therefor not getting the on-screen (Mac) note to finish iCloud (although it seems okay on my 3GS). Followed everything to this point but don't want to tell it to "finish" b/c I never got the screen to finish on my Mac. Hate to screw this up worse. Appreciate any advice or help!! Heard from my 'bro who works at Apple corporate that Lion has too many bugs still-- but not nice of Apple to not tell us we'd need Lion before we did all this. Thanks--
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Not right now. But read this rumor which apparently has some basis in fact:

LINK
Yay!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Yay!
You're a little behind the times with that blog post.

It would appear that the rumour that iCloud support would be coming to SL is all but dead.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You're a little behind the times with that blog post.

It would appear that the rumour that iCloud support would be coming to SL is all but dead.
Boooo!!!

Yeah - somehow I missed this one earlier - thanks for shattering my hope!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPigsRule View Post
Have OS X 10.6.8 and seemed to have no choice but to take iCloud and iOS5 but also am stuck w/ not having Lion and am therefor not getting the on-screen (Mac) note to finish iCloud (although it seems okay on my 3GS). Followed everything to this point but don't want to tell it to "finish" b/c I never got the screen to finish on my Mac. Hate to screw this up worse. Appreciate any advice or help!! Heard from my 'bro who works at Apple corporate that Lion has too many bugs still-- but not nice of Apple to not tell us we'd need Lion before we did all this. Thanks--
Hi,
I would install Lion as a priority because it is impossible to run the apps successfully without it. I downloaded it last night after 4 days of confusing nonsense because I didn't read the system requirements properly and wasted no end of time and energy chasing shadows. Don't worry that you already have things installed on your phone because it will work it out.

I don't know what bugs your bro is referring to but it's been fine for me and certainly resolved the syncing/back up/apps shortfalls that I was experiencing.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

Lez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo

I can't install lion as my Macbook won't support it, am I screwed?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no. You can't use the automatic setup but you should be able to configure applications manually if you're determined to use iCloud. Mail instructions here and calendar instructions here. Note that you'll only be able to use a fraction of the features (such as mail and calendar).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

Thanks for the reply, I think I will wait till I get new hardware so I can us all the features, it's just a pity I can't upgrade to OSX 10.7.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

iCloud is far from the only sync service. Why not just use another? What do you need to sync?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

I think Dropbox does a similar thing, I'll try that.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Dropbox is for files - it doesn't sync contacts, calendar or mail. Are you just looking for cloud based file storage? If so, Dropbox will work wonders.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

It is to share files & info with an Ipad, & also simple backup of the Macbook.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac update related problems | Help retrieving deleted files »