New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ethernet/Wi Fi/Lion issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Duffersdad

Duffersdad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 8GB, 1TB, i5, iPad2

Hello All:

I have a situation that I just cannot seem to resolve. I have a 27" iMac, 12 gb ram. Lion 10 .7.2 that I bought in February of this year. Home network running on AT&T with the Mac, an iPad 2, Windows pc and a Windows laptop, and everything worked fine until yesterday. Now, I cannot access the Internet with Mac, yet everything else is working fine. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into the AT&T cable modem and into the Mac, everything else connects via Wi Fi. I cannot connect with Mac either through the Ethernet cable or Wi Fi. I've swapped Ethernet cables, shut everything down, rebooted several times but I just cannot get the Mac to go on line. When I open the network diagnostics everything appears with a red dot and I cannot turn Wi Fi on (choices are all greased out). Any ideas?

Duffersdad
27" iMac (1st Mac); Nikon Gear, LR 3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First thing to try is reboot the modem router. Power off for a bit and then power on. Also reboot your iMac at the same time. Was the iMac working OK before you updated to 10.7.2? How about after the update? Also, go over all your settings in System Preferences, Network.
QUOTE Thanks
Duffersdad

I have unplugged cable modem (AT&T Uverse)' switched Ethernet cables, rebooted, unplugged until I'm blue in the face. I switched the Ethernet cable from the Mac and put it in a pc on the wireless network and confirmed that the cable works and the pc is connected to the Internet. And yes, everything worked flawlessly before the Lion update and actually for some time now following the Lion install. Network settings are "frozen", they all have a red dot and I'm told that the Ethernet cable is unplugged (when in fact, it is not). No wi Fi networks appear and I cannot access the Internet either through the Ethernet cable or Wi Fi. Every other computer on the wireless network has complete access to the Internet. But my iMac will not connect.

Duffersdad
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It almost seems like your iMac has forgotten it has network capabilities. Try resetting the PRAM, let's see if that works.

If that doesn't work, give Apple support a call or make an appointment with your local Apple store genius to have it looked at. I know that a 27" iMac is a bear to lug around but since it's under warranty it might be a good idea to take it on in.

Also as an alternative, you can try re-installing Lion from your Recovery partition.
QUOTE Thanks
Duffersdad

I contacted Apple Support and got the problem resolved. What a pleasure to chat with them; I was most concerned that I would have to cart my iMac into the Apple store, but, Chris in Support, led me by the hand through a PRAM and SMS reset and solved the problem!! Apple is the greatest! Thanks for your efforts to assist me.

Duffersdad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion help... | iTunes Problem »