New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

All Applications Suddenly Open 10.6.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darylbz

darylbz is on a distinguished road

I have a white iBook running 10.6.8. While using Safari suddenly every application on the computer will open up. It does not happen all of the time. It also does not happen at specific times. I ran a program called Applejack to clean up random anomalies with permissions and the like but it still is happening.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A white iBook running 10.6.8? I don't think so since Snow Leopard will not install on a PPC. How about telling us which Mac you really have? Also, Safari should have nothing to do with applications starting up. What else is going on in the machine when that happens?
QUOTE Thanks
darylbz

Thanks "chscag". You are correct. It is a White MacBook. I will give you more specifics on the machine when I get back to work.

This is a students machine. He came to me with applications just opening one after another.

What I do know..
1. It did not occur after coming out of sleep mode.
2. He was working on an online dictionary when it occurred.
3. He has told me that it happens frequently.
4. Does not happen at startup.

I have seen a lot of things, but nothing like this. Any specific information you would like me to obtain?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

We need to find out what he means by every application is opening up. Are the applications launching, starting up and opening? I likewise have never heard of that happening.
QUOTE Thanks
darylbz

I saw it with my own eyes. All of the applications were launching, and trying to open. Very bizarre. I have watched a student open every Word document he had but this takes the cake. It is not like he selected all the applications and double clicked the list.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK. Check his Dock icons to make sure he hasn't selected them to "Open at Login". Right click on each Dock icon and select "Options". See if perhaps he's accidentally (or on purpose) selected that action.
QUOTE Thanks
darylbz

Nothing in the Dock is set to open at Login.

Machine is a White MacBook
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Running 10.6.8

In talking with the student...
When this happens...30-40 Finder windows open and all of the applications open.

1. It has occurred when coming out of sleep. (Once)
2. It has occurred when starting the computer and logging in. (Once)
3. This has occurred using the Dictionary application and when he is online.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I really have no idea what's causing that. It possibly could be a corrupted account. Here's what I suggest:

Create another account for him on the machine. Give it whatever permissions you normally would assign for a student account. Let him log on to the new account to see if the same thing occurs. If the new account is operating normally, copy his data over to the new account from the old, test it, and if everything is still OK, delete the old account.

Let us know if this works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Storage "Other" Space | The window is hiding and cannot be dragged (Mac OS 10.7) »