New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Audio CD information stored in Mac OSX?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fisico60

Fisico60 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm a newcomer with a question:

Does OSX store the audio CDs information (disc title, genre, year, song titles.....) in some file or folder? which one(s)?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Fisico60
QUOTE Thanks
Fisico60

bump. Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Ummmmmmm I'm not sure what you're asking to be honest. Are you talking about CD's you ripped, or just played?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Fisico60

1) I load an audio CD with iTunes open. It accesses CDDB and it gets disc title, song titles etc..
2) I modify the disc title and/or song titles
3) Des not matter if I play it or rip it
4) I eject the audio CD
5) I quit iTunes
6) I load again the same audio CD, the disc mounts immediately on the desktop with the modified title. If I double click on its icon I can see the tracks named with the modified titles

It means that the audio CD information is stored somewhere on my Mac. Is it stored in some iTunes file? Is it stored in some OSX file? I suspect the latter, since the modified titles appear even if iTunes is not open.

In order to migrate all audio CDs information on a newer Mac (to arrive soon), I would like to know where this "internal" audio CD database is stored. I know somebody will suggest to use migration assistant and see what happens, but I would like to know if somebody on the forum has the answer to this question. Thanks again!

PowerMac G5 2x1.8 GHz processors, 2GB RAM, 2x500GB HD, Mac OSX 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it's stored in..

~/Library/Preferences/CD Info.cidb

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Is the information not embedded with the audio file, like EXIF info and JPEGS?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
You can't write to an audio cd.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Fisico60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
it's stored in..

~/Library/Preferences/CD Info.cidb
Right on target Dysfunction, you are functioning quite well! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Also, since the file is in the user library, this is useful to know in order to share data with a different user on the same machine.

Thanks again

Fisico60
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
You can't write to an audio cd
Who said anything about writing to an audio cd?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

He asked where audio cd info was stored and you asked if it was stored with the files.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

The OP stated that:
Quote:
1) I load an audio CD with iTunes open. It accesses CDDB and it gets disc title, song titles etc..
He then asked:
Quote:
It means that the audio CD information is stored somewhere on my Mac. Is it stored in some iTunes file? Is it stored in some OSX file?
and:
Quote:
In order to migrate all audio CDs information on a newer Mac (to arrive soon), I would like to know where this "internal" audio CD database is stored.
I then asked:
Quote:
to establish whether when you transfer music from iTunes to another Mac via a USB stick(for example), it takes all the track names/info/album art with it, embedded into the track itself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blocked websites | Where did the downloads folder go in the window menu? »