New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trying to re-install mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

viduka321

viduka321 is on a distinguished road

I have just installed a new hard drive 160GB in my PowerBook 12" G4
I then put the Disc 1 which came with it in the drive and booted in to the first screen. I then go to Disc Utilities and created a partition and called it Macintosh HD and then closed the Utilities. I then selected the hard drive and it loads all the way through to the end of Disc 1 when it the restarts.
After the restart it goes to the grey screen with the spinning circle then the screen goes dark grey and says " You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power Button for several seconds or press the Restart Button" in several languages. It does this each time I restart.
Can any one give me a step by step guide of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

Try booting from the disc again and open up Disk Utility and Erase the harddrive. Close out of Disk Utility then try to re-install OSX again.

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Erase and format Mac OS Extended Journalled when booted from Disc One,, into Partition, and select Apple Partition Map and then try the install.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

yeah the post from blairtechguy & harryb2448 will work
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote hostnames | Screen Redraw Problem in OS X Lion use List Mode »