New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion iCal not syncing to iCloud calendar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

No problems installing iOS 5 on my iPad 2 yesterday, updating Lion and setting up my iCloud account. All very nice, but iCal on my iMac is not syncing with the iCloud calendar. Yesterday I created a new appointment on the iPad. It appeared quickly in the iCloud calendar. As of this morning, it has not appeared in the iCal calendar.

I just discovered that the "Sync iCal Calendars" box was checked in iTunes/Info for my iPad, but when I saw the notice at the bottom that "Your calendars are being synced with iCloud over the air. You can also choose to sync calendars with this computer. This may result in duplicated data showing up on your device" I unchecked that box, but this should have affected nothing. In Lion System Preferences, iCal is set to sync to iCloud.

Just a big server delay thing maybe? I can't find any user manual for iCloud though, and wonder if I've missed something.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrari_jd

ferrari_jd is on a distinguished road

At first I thought this question was posted in the last 24 hours but saw that it was done long before that lol. In case you're still wondering, or anyone is for that matter, I found that in order to be able to sync your iCloud calendar to your mac osx lion calendar you must first open up prefs in iCal and go to accounts, then add new account. Here you will have the option to select "iCloud" account. Once you do, you will notice that you will have a duplicate of every event in your calendar. This is because it is displaying "your mac calendar" and "iCloud" calendar all at once. All you got to do is click on calendars on the top left and deselect all the "your mac calendars" leaving solely iCloud. Thats it!
QUOTE Thanks
Cactus1993

Cactus1993 is on a distinguished road

Ferrari ...

I just went through the whole process of registering for this forum and activating it via validation email, just to thank you for your post.

It was driving me nuts ... not duplicates, but the fact my iCal wasn't showing my iCloud calendars at all. Adding a new iCloud account in the manner you suggested worked perfectly, and I thank you again for taking the time to post what you discovered, and for the process to follow that got my iCal working again!

Have a great rest of the day.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

ferrari -- Thank you from me too! Actually I did post that this morning. Just got home from work and bingo, got it going. What a relief. Odd this simple instruction was not posted in a manual somewhere. Thanks again.

UPDATE: and then go into iCal Prefs to reselect the default calendars. They will still be set to My Mac calendars and will turn those calendars back on if you do a default action, like create a new appointment.
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

BB8185 is on a distinguished road

Same problem...I have tried to follow the answer given by Ferrari jd...but, when I open preferences in iCal, add accounts...I get the options CalDAV, Exchange, Mobile Me, Google , Yahoo, but no option for iCloud. I have checked for any software updates...I'm up to date. Any ideas?

Thanks on anticipation.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8185 View Post
Same problem...I have tried to follow the answer given by Ferrari jd...but, when I open preferences in iCal, add accounts...I get the options CalDAV, Exchange, Mobile Me, Google , Yahoo, but no option for iCloud. I have checked for any software updates...I'm up to date. Any ideas? Thanks on anticipation.
Did you enable iCloud in Apple/System Preferences/Internet & Wireless on the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

Demapples. Thanks for replying.

In System preferences, I have Mobile Me, Network, Bluetooth and sharing...no iCloud. But...when I sync my iPhone i have the 'calendar being synced by iCloud' button checked.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Did you upgrade Lion on your Mac to 10.7.2?
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8185 View Post
Demapples. Thanks for replying.In System preferences, I have Mobile Me, Network, Bluetooth and sharing...no iCloud. But...when I sync my iPhone i have the 'calendar being synced by iCloud' button checked.Thanks again
I presume you downloaded the Lion updates that came out yesterday?

I'm just the blind helping the blind. If there's a step by step manual out there for this I haven't found it. Finally got it all working, but thanks to other forum posters and my experimentation.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrari_jd

Happy to help guys. I spent all yesterday night going crazy with all these little things. I find that if I don't understand how everything works, I can't go to sleep lol.

BB8185, I know this might be a stupid question, but did you upgrade to the latest version of lion? Because if you haven't, then your mac does not have iCloud yet, therefore your Calendar/adress book, etc. cannot be synced via iCloud.
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

Nighthawk4 thanks.

I'm now getting out of my depth technically. I have Mac os x Version 10.6.8 When I check for updates it claims that I am up to date. Apologies for the naievety.

Any help appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

Ferrari jd, that doesn't sound stupid to me...I just checked for updates (yesterday), downloaded and installed them. I did update iTunes etc...

This is brain mushing stuff...

thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrari_jd

BB8185, I think that's the problem. I seem to be running 10.7.2 and I updated last night. If I'm not mistaken, 10.6.8 is still Snow Leopard. Looks like you gotta buy yourself the 20$ lion update
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

Ferrari jd...Thanks

I'm on it now. Will update you in a few.

thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
BB8185

Guys, downloading Lion now...3 and a half hours to go!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine freeze/never end backing up | Made a mistake »