New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

getting a black screen of death

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jgezau

jgezau is on a distinguished road

I randomly get this "black screen of death" (similar to the Windows blue screen of death).

This started happenning when using Parallels Desktops (note: I used it for a long time w/o any problems), it was up to recently that I strted getting it. At first it was just randomly while using Parallels (running windows), then everytime as soon as I clicked the "launch" button to load windows, to the point where I couldn't access Windows because of it.

I switched to VMWare, everything fine but now I get the same black screen randomly.

The black screen happens mainly when using a VM, now its happening when I have lots of apps running and I use expose (not running a VM).

My solutions are as follow: clearing cache (like in Windows with CCleaner), and disk defrag but since I'm not a Mac 'geek' I want to know a good app to do a similar task as CCleaner (Windows app) and how to defrag my disk.

Also any other recommendations/opinions/solutions/etc from knowledgeable Mac users before opting for a clean OSX install or even an upgrade to Lion.

BTW, I have Snow Leopard...

Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
jgezau

So by reading some of the other posts, I came across Titanium's Onyx, Maintenance, and Deeper... arte they any good?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Onyx for Lion is highly recommended here.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jgezau

Thanks.... any other input on this? Maybe someone has experienced something similar?
QUOTE Thanks
moulitsa

moulitsa is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem (black screen of death).

No VM here... Mine does it when I use many applications. But again, it is random... Sometimes I use many applications and it does not do it. I have run the diagnostics and it does not find anything wrong...

I have a mac book pro, 2010 edition, 15 inch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac stopped booting | Lion - Screen goes black, have to power down »