New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Multipe songs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Equis

Equis is on a distinguished road

I've recently brought my macbook pro and put many songs on it from my older computer with a usb drive. I added these to itunes. When I search the song in finder I have 2 copies of the song, I have one in the itunes folder and one in my regular music folder. Does my computer make 2 copies of the song and does this take up twice the space? ( I'm figuring it does take up twice the space because when I check the memory I have about 16 gig using music when I have about 8 in my itunes) .. Also when I download songs from the internet it also makes two copies, Is there any way so it doesn't make two copies of the songs because this is frustrating me and i'm fearing it does take up twice the space and I can't figure out what to do about this... Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
I've recently brought my macbook pro and put many songs on it from my older computer with a usb drive. I added these to itunes. When I search the song in finder I have 2 copies of the song, I have one in the itunes folder and one in my regular music folder. Does my computer make 2 copies of the song and does this take up twice the space? ( I'm figuring it does take up twice the space because when I check the memory I have about 16 gig using music when I have about 8 in my itunes) .. Also when I download songs from the internet it also makes two copies, Is there any way so it doesn't make two copies of the songs because this is frustrating me and i'm fearing it does take up twice the space and I can't figure out what to do about this... Thanks
It is using twice the space. Here is a link on how to remove the duplicates.
How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library
QUOTE Thanks
Equis

Equis is on a distinguished road

thanks, that removed the problem in itunes... but not the larger problem, I'll give an example and maybe you or someone else can help.

I go to finder and search any song under my music folder, say song X. I have song X twice when I search it; the directory for one of the songs is my music folder, and the directory for the other song is the itunes folder. If i just search under all my files finder just shows one copy of song X in the music folder directory. This is annoying because it does it every time, and I just rather have all my songs in my music folder or all in my itunes folder, not two copies of it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard or Tiger? | Need some help here, TM problems »