New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX Lion 7.1 ---- Launchpad Has Disappeared

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chuckf1

chuckf1 is on a distinguished road

I don't mean some of the icons in Launchpad, I lean Launchpad itself. And I can't find it using either Finder or Spotlight.

This is what I've further done to correct the situation.

1. Used the killall Dock command in terminal.
2. Then in System Preferences under Keyboard -- went to the Keyboard Shortcut screen. And as shown in the attachment, you can put a check mark in the Show Launchpad box. That doesn't actually restore Launchpad, it opens a blank box to the right of Show Launchpad, to type in shortcut keys. However, I can't type anything in the blank box.
3. As a "Hail Mary", tried the Restore Defaults option.

Needless to say, nothing worked.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyboard Shortcut.jpg (185.1 KB, 36 views)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Do you have Time Machine activated and have you tried to restore it that way?
QUOTE Thanks
chuckf1

First thank you for the answers.

And to answer both posts, I don't have Time Machine activated because I don't have a separate drive to transfer the data to. And the Dock shows up in the 1st line of System Preferences. It's never been in any other place in Preferences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System Preferences.jpg (240.0 KB, 36 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chuckf1

Problem solved. While I still have no idea where the Launchpad went off to or how to get it back on the dock, I was able to make it one of my Hot Corners.

So while the problem wasn't solved in the way I hoped.....I can now access the Launchpad, via a new Hot Key, so problem solved.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If it has not returned to the dock this may help. How to refresh OS X Lion's Launchpad contents | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Boy... what I wouldn't give to get rid of launchpad! That was a blessing in disguise, and you tossed it to the wind...

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chuckf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I appreciate the heads up but that didn't work either. But still, thank you very much for taking the time to point me to the TUAW article.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckf1

Problem really solved. If anyone ever gets into the same situation as I did and wants their launchpad icon back, a replacement can be downloaded from:
Launchpad.app.zip
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Destop folders don't always open | Reformatting and Partitioning an external from my mac »