New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Brand New Lion Install Crashing 15-20 times per day

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sjkeach

sjkeach is on a distinguished road

Brand new lion install, only firefox installed. "Windowserver" appears to be offender.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What Mac? How old? What previous version of Mac OS was used? What hardware, if any, was changed? Why did you do a fresh install of Lion?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

honestly - not many people will be able to help you with the amount of information provided. Things people here like to know are:

- HW configuration
- What happens when the system crashes
- Are you doing something specific when it crashes
- How was the machine running before you installed Lion
- Have you tried things like switching RAM

QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
honestly - not many people will be able to help you with the amount of information provided. Things people here like to know are:

- HW configuration
2010 Macbook Pro i7.
-Never changed any hardware.
-Updated from Snow Leopard right when Lion released
-Battery failed this week as well as crashing problem and I brought to apple, replaced battery and confirmed no hardware failures so the crashing is a software issue.
-Erased hard drive and did a fresh install of Lion and ran software update.
-Issue persists.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Did lion run ok after the upgrade prior the the battery failure?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post

- HW configuration
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Did lion run ok after the upgrade prior the the battery failure?
No it did not. It constantly crashed. It appears that the crashing occurs when the Nvidia card switches on. I looked for drivers on the Nvidia website and discovered that Nvidia does not yet support OSX Lion. Why release lion then? This has turned my computer into a $2000 paper weight.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkeach View Post
No it did not. It constantly crashed. It appears that the crashing occurs when the Nvidia card switches on. I looked for drivers on the Nvidia website and discovered that Nvidia does not yet support OSX Lion. Why release lion then? This has turned my computer into a $2000 paper weight.
Well not all MAC use a NVIDIA graphic card .
Second I assume that you do get a install DVD of Leopard or Snow Leopard when you buy you're MAC
So it is always possible to return to Leopard or Snow Leopard .
So all you loose at this moment is the cost of Lion.
And wait until you're graphic card is supported by Lion .
But if you go back to Leopard or Snow Leopard do it as a clean install
QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

I no longer have those disks. But I'll borrow a friends or pirate bay that stuff.
Hopefully they get this figured out soon, I have a lot of respect for the company and am a loyal consumer of theirs. I have contacted support at least ten times about the issue. Emailed Tim Cook, CEO and Steve Jobs. I have also sent probably a 1000 crash reports to just flood their system with the issue, im getting fed up.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Forget the pirate bay stuff.... we don't discuss that in these forums. Read our guidelines.

As for the driver issue: There is no issue, Lion includes drivers for all the hardware it supports. And as far as I know Lion is supported on all machines except PPC and Intel Core Duo. The correct drivers should be loaded. There's likely another problem with your machine that's causing the crashes.

What trouble shooting have you done? Did you run the Apple Hardware Test? (you can boot to the Recovery Partition and run the tests from there) Command R or use the OPTION key to boot to the Recovery partition.
QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Forget the pirate bay stuff.... we don't discuss that in these forums. Read our guidelines.

As for the driver issue: There is no issue, Lion includes drivers for all the hardware it supports. And as far as I know Lion is supported on all machines except PPC and Intel Core Duo. The correct drivers should be loaded. There's likely another problem with your machine that's causing the crashes.

What trouble shooting have you done? Did you run the Apple Hardware Test? (you can boot to the Recovery Partition and run the tests from there) Command R or use the OPTION key to boot to the Recovery partition.
Yes I have performed all of those steps. The Genius Bar told me my hardware was 100% in working order and it was definitely a software issue so I wiped the hard drive. Ran disk utility from Recovery mode and erased the drive, restarted, ran the utility and installed a fresh copy of lion. Did I miss a step? As the issue persists.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the issue persists after doing a clean install of Lion, we have to assume it's related to hardware regardless of what the Apple genius told you. If the machine is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on back to them.
QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If the issue persists after doing a clean install of Lion, we have to assume it's related to hardware regardless of what the Apple genius told you. If the machine is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on back to them.
I just have a hard time believing that test wouldn't detect any damage to the hardware. I watched him perform the test and everything checked out. After replacing the battery he further confirmed the computer was in working order. I assumed that something got mixed up in the upgrade from Snow Leopard so I downloaded Lion and mounted it to a USB drive. Then I booted from the USB drive and erased the Mac HD and installed Lion. Did I miss a step here and not completely erase the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
sjkeach

UPDATE

Just downgraded to Snow Leopard. Absolutely no problems. Lion is massively flawed, will be giving Apple a piece of my mind. No way to treat their customers, Stevie Job's wouldn't let this kinda crap fly. Thank god they got Snow Leopard right.
QUOTE Thanks
jebrand

jebrand is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to Lion as well recently and have had nothing but bad experience. Initially my start-up would take over 10 minutes, this issue was resolved by clearing my caches.

Now my computer crashes consistently, I checked out the Error Report and it appears that the cause is connected to this snippet:
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000(7.1.2)[C27C8474-7285-3569-8130-F2C040474599]@0xffffff7f8159c000->0xffffff7f817fcfff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.7)[6D54F06A-46B7-37FC-AF22-DE68DC18A1A3]@0xffffff7f80822000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.2)[6517D9A6-58F5-3CFC-B021-C882306150D5]@0xffffff7f80ca3000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.2)[55FF26D3-292D-3B4B-8AB7-1D25C8B4313B]@0xffffff7f80c6b000

This is completely tied to Lion as I never had a problem until I upgraded from Snow Leopard.

Here are my system specs:
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

- What happens when the system crashes:
When the system crashes the display gets messed up with lines throughout it as if it can refresh properly. Some times a message will appear stating that the system must be rebooted by holding the power button.

No, it has never happened when I have been sitting in front of it.

FANTASTIC

No
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

While I and some 30 million other people (so far) have upgraded to Lion and experienced no problems whatsoever. Snow Leopard was great, Lion is better IMO.

So I tend to think the problem is with the copy of Lion that was downloaded, the user, or the machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Get Rid os Software Update | Looking for a fix »