New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard or Tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dodger2402

dodger2402 is on a distinguished road

I currently run a G5 Mac 2ghz Intel dual core with 4gb Ram 160Gb HD with 10.5.8 (Leopard).

I run Adobe's CS3 Creative Suite and all's well with the world. I'm shortly going to upgrade to CS5.5 (hopefully, if I can get an upgrade path). I want to run Adobe's new creation MUSE, but it requires Snow Leopard minimum and AIR to run. I've heard bad reports about Snow Leopard so can anyone advise best route. Should I upgrade to a newer machine (groan). This one still runs well, and is it ain't broke I don't really want to fix it.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

What bad reports have you heard about you heard about snow leopard? Because i have been running it for a while and i had no problems. And now moved to os lion.
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger2402 View Post
I currently run a G5 Mac 2ghz Intel dual core with 4gb Ram 160Gb HD with 10.5.8 (Leopard).

I run Adobe's CS3 Creative Suite and all's well with the world. I'm shortly going to upgrade to CS5.5 (hopefully, if I can get an upgrade path). I want to run Adobe's new creation MUSE, but it requires Snow Leopard minimum and AIR to run. I've heard bad reports about Snow Leopard so can anyone advise best route. Should I upgrade to a newer machine (groan). This one still runs well, and is it ain't broke I don't really want to fix it.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance...
I had SL with CS5 without any issues.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Leopard is as far as you can progress as Snow Leopard OS X.6 is for Intel machines only. G5's are not Intel but PowerPC so it is either a G5 or an Intel Mac Pro, cannot be both. Update to OS X.5.8 using the Combo Updater from the Apple web site.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Leopard is as far as you can progress as Snow Leopard OS X.6 is for Intel machines only. G5's are not Intel but PowerPC so it is either a G5 or an Intel Mac Pro, cannot be both. Update to OS X.5.8 using the Combo Updater from the Apple web site.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update
It may be time for an upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Bad reports about Snow Leopard? I can tell you more bad things about Leopard that will never be fixed either. Snow Leopard is a VERY solid OS. One of the Best versions of OSX I have ever used in fact and much faster than Leopard and VERY stable.
QUOTE Thanks
dodger2402

dodger2402 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the comments. It's as I suspected and time for an upgrade. My G5 still runs really well with CS3, but the faster machines and upgraded software are now calling...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is it possible that ive been hacked? or is this just a ram problem | Multipe songs »