New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Confused over booting from external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Following the death of my Freecom external drive I've been looking for an alternative. I'd almost settled on Seagate goFlex Desktop drives - a 2TB for Time Machine backups and a 1TB (or another 2TB) for Carbon Copy Clone backups with the intention of being able to boot from the latter should my iMac fail. (Both of these drives are on a mega offer at Amazon right now)

However, I've just been told by Seagate that I cannot boot from their drives. Are they correct or misinformed?

As an aside, I note that Seagate produce a mac specific version of their GoFlex Desk external drive (Aluminium colour not black), but this does not appear to be available in the UK - has anyone bought one of these in the UK?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

All I know is that I buy my self a standard Samsung USB drive 2 TB .
Formatted in 2 partitions using the diskutility of MAC one for the system and one for my data .
And yes I can boot from from USB drive by holding down the Option key before the booting is starting until the options come up
Coloning was done Carbon cloner
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Following the death of my Freecom external drive I've been looking for an alternative. I'd almost settled on Seagate goFlex Desktop drives - a 2TB for Time Machine backups and a 1TB (or another 2TB) for Carbon Copy Clone backups with the intention of being able to boot from the latter should my iMac fail. (Both of these drives are on a mega offer at Amazon right now)

However, I've just been told by Seagate that I cannot boot from their drives. Are they correct or misinformed?

As an aside, I note that Seagate produce a mac specific version of their GoFlex Desk external drive (Aluminium colour not black), but this does not appear to be available in the UK - has anyone bought one of these in the UK?
I have bought both the Mac specific and windows version and once you reformat the Windows version I see no difference between them. (FWIW I reformatted the Mac version too so I could enable Filevault2).
Never tried booting from one, and not sure I believe you couldn't. But, you'll have to get a recommendation on that from someone else.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
All I know is that I buy my self a standard Samsung USB drive 2 TB .
Formatted in 2 partitions using the diskutility of MAC one for the system and one for my data .
And yes I can boot from from USB drive by holding down the Option key before the booting is starting until the options come up
Coloning was done Carbon cloner
Thanks for this. Having had one drive go down, I don't want to put my faith into just one drive hence my idea of getting two.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I have bought both the Mac specific and windows version and once you reformat the Windows version I see no difference between them.
Usual one is black, mac version is silver - at least on the Seagae site that I'm looking at.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Thanks for this. Having had one drive go down, I don't want to put my faith into just one drive hence my idea of getting two.
Agree, I currently have four of them.
Quote:
Usual one is black, mac version is silver - at least on the Seagae site that I'm looking at.
Colors are not specific to the version (at least I think not) I have silver, black and blue. Will have to go back and check which were originally Mac versions (at least one was silver, so you may be right).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Agree, I currently have four of them.

Colors are not specific to the version (at least I think not) I have silver, black and blue. Will have to go back and check which were originally Mac versions (at least one was silver, so you may be right).
I think we're talking about differnt machines. I think you may have one of these...
Portable hard drive | USB hard Drive | FreeAgent | GoFlex Ultra Portable Drive | Seagate

or similar

I was talking about these...
Desktop hard drive | External Desktop hard drives | FreeAgent | GoFlex Desk | Seagate

and specifically this one...
STBC2000100 | Seagate

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Actually, I have none of those.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAg...349454&sr=8-13

I have four of the above in 320 and 500Gb flavors.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
I hadn't really looked at these as I wanted a larger drive, but the price here in UK (less than 50) makes me want to investigate further...

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
I hadn't really looked at these as I wanted a larger drive, but the price here in UK (less than 50) makes me want to investigate further...
So how did your quest end (or has it yet)?

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Have bee nwithout internet for 3 days, just back up so quest continues when I've caught up...

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Finally decided on this Iomega eGo Desktop Hard Drive (Mac Edition,2TB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Mostly great reviews and barely more expensive than the 1TB version.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Finally decided on this Iomega eGo Desktop Hard Drive (Mac Edition,2TB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. Mostly great reviews and barely more expensive than the 1TB version.
Let us know how it works out; looks like an interesting unit.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

It (Iomega eGo Desktop Hard Drive (Mac Edition,2TB): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) arrived and at a bargain price from Amazon, just 108. Neat little unit and a full 2TB free space showing - no bloatware at all although varions software can be downloaded from their site. My next question is about whether to configure this as just one partition or two for CCC and Time Machine so I'm just about to read up the FAQs on that one..

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

How are you liking the drive?

I put one in my Amazon shopping cart and am tempted to buy one both as a fixed extension drive for my Mac Mini and as a FireWire Hub.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« get old admin account back | Suitable OS »