New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

all programmes downloading as dmg.dat files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommojay

tommojay is on a distinguished road

Hi, im running Mac OSX 10.4.11 on my mac at work. Recently for some reason whenever I download certain files they save as dmg.dat files and I cant open them. For example, I needed to download the flickr uploadr and the file downloaded as "FlickrUploadr-3.2.1-.......en.dmg.dat" when I click on it it asks me to select a program to open it with.

This is driving me crazy, can anyone help?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

have you downloaded something that would have corrupted everything you download. It sounds like there is something that is making it do that?
QUOTE Thanks
tommojay

not that I can think of, the other mac in the office is doing the exact same thing as well.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What happens if you rename the file and take off the .dat? You can do that in Finder. Will the DMG then open?

I have never seen your issue but wonder if the files are fine and it's just the extension.
QUOTE Thanks
tommojay

lol deleting the .dat extension worked, dont know why i didnt think of doing that myself cheers. Still have no idea why it would put that extension on the end of everything i download tho.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Server 10.7.2 - Won't allow install | How do I MOVE iTunes to new user account? »