New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS Lion Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nns91

nns91 is an unknown at this point

So I have a MacBook Pro that is now 3 years old. I upgraded the OS to Lion back in July. It had worked fine until a week ago when my laptop started to freeze a lot. In addition, there are many different errors:
- I cannot save Word documents due to full of memory error
-Keychain cannot be found
-Cannot record using PhotoBooth
-Cannot uninstall programs
-Mail sometimes do not work properply
-Firefox says that a copy has already been open though there was none
-Wifi does not connect to network (signal is present) after turning the laptop on from sleep
-Black screen after open the laptop (from sleep mode).

I have brought my computer to Apple Store and they said there was nothing wrong with my hard drive. They told me to reinstall OS Lion, which I have already done. However, these problems occur again. Therefore, do you guys know what is going on ?
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

i would say if you still have got a disc for snow leopard then put that back on and check all of these things work, if they do work then upgrade to lion. It sounds like that os lion is not installing correctly onto your mbp.
QUOTE Thanks
nns91

Unfortunately, I don't have a Snow Leopard disk with me. However, I thought that if I reinstall the new OS Lion, there should be no more problems as it is a fresh copy ?
QUOTE Thanks
Domb

Domb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz

there shouldnt be any problems with a fresh os lion, but it was just to see if you still get the same problems with leopard. How long does it take to install os lion?
QUOTE Thanks
nns91

Oh, it took forever to download the file. I would say it took me more than 9 hours to download and complete the reinstallation.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Wow that is too long and something has been corrupted. On DSL takes about 40 minutes download and about fifteen to complete install. You can download a new copy of Lion, go to App Store, hold down Option key and hit Purchases and then the Lion icon to start a new, uncharged, download. There are many references to burning to a thumb drive which seems to be the best way of storing Lion.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns91 View Post
Oh, it took forever to download the file. I would say it took me more than 9 hours to download and complete the reinstallation.
My download took 6.5 hours, yours is even worse.
QUOTE Thanks
nns91

I am on a college network so it might explain why ? I left my download overnight a couple times and they cancelled itself twice. By canceling itself, I meant that the download just quit when I hit the space key to wake the screen up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running a Dual HDD setup upgrade in OSX Lion | Can't reinstall Mac OS 8.1 »