New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Moving from SL to Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Just wondering if a few of the kinks are worked out with lion? I'm at the point where i would really like to upgrade but i dont want to mess up my mac.
I have a mid 2009 MBP with 4 gb ram. If anyone has input or simular machine that is running Lion please post. I am going to buy it either way i just dont know if i am going to install it.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

You are running a better processor than I and so far my 2.53 has run great but I don't use PPC legacy anything and check to make sure your peripherals are Lion ready
mine were so no issues.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

go ahead full stream, make sure you have back your SL. Should be easy.
also run your software updates pre lion install and post lion.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.
"kinks": I didnt really have anything specific. I have been a Mac user for 20 months now and have never changed OS's. My experiance with MS was to wait for the first few update before upgrading. I guess i could just try it then
switch back if i dont like it.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yeah, this ain't MS.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Office 2008 should be fine if you do the upgrade. If you try to do a fresh install of 2008 in Lion, you'll find that it won't work since the installer requires Rosetta which has been removed from OS X as of Lion.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

bummer. i wasnt going to do a upgrade i was going to do a fresh install.

QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.
I have a Mid 2010 MBP, originally with snow leopard. I read a lot of negative reviews with lion (as you did) but I decided to go ahead and try it for myself. So far, after a month of having it I haven't had ANY issues. I also have Word 2011 with no issues.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

office 08 doesn't work but office 11 does?

QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
I have only used Word 2011 so I wouldn't know about the 2008 version.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
They both work fine on Lion. I have Office 2008 on a MacBook running Lion and Office 2011 on an iMac running Lion. No problems with either.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
They both work fine on Lion. I have Office 2008 on a MacBook running Lion and Office 2011 on an iMac running Lion. No problems with either.
did you upgrade lion or a clean install?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help understanding Mac osx file system | Quick Snow Leopard question »