Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    Moving from SL to Lion
    Just wondering if a few of the kinks are worked out with lion? I'm at the point where i would really like to upgrade but i dont want to mess up my mac.
    I have a mid 2009 MBP with 4 gb ram. If anyone has input or simular machine that is running Lion please post. I am going to buy it either way i just dont know if i am going to install it.
    60% of the time it works every time.

  2. #2

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    You are running a better processor than I and so far my 2.53 has run great but I don't use PPC legacy anything and check to make sure your peripherals are Lion ready
    mine were so no issues.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2011
    Posts
    751
    Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    go ahead full stream, make sure you have back your SL. Should be easy.
    also run your software updates pre lion install and post lion.

  4. #4

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

    If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  5. #5

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    What "kinks"? We all have very different experiences with various issues. Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about?

    If you want to wait, it seems that iCloud support will be coming with 10.7.2 and since iCloud is coming out this week, you could hold off for a few days.
    "kinks": I didnt really have anything specific. I have been a Mac user for 20 months now and have never changed OS's. My experiance with MS was to wait for the first few update before upgrading. I guess i could just try it then
    switch back if i dont like it.
    60% of the time it works every time.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yeah, this ain't MS.

  7. #7

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

    On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.
    60% of the time it works every time.

  8. #8

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Office 2008 should be fine if you do the upgrade. If you try to do a fresh install of 2008 in Lion, you'll find that it won't work since the installer requires Rosetta which has been removed from OS X as of Lion.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  9. #9

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    bummer. i wasnt going to do a upgrade i was going to do a fresh install.
    60% of the time it works every time.

  10. #10

    aestheticxxlove's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
    I have purchased Lion and i am guessing it will be 3 or 4 days before it is fully downloaded (i have a really slow connection). i am buying a HDD today for back up (which i have never done) and also buying a usb dongle to put Lion on. Pretty excited to try my hand at my first install of a OSX im sure in the days to come there will be alot of me crying i cant get somthing to work (my own inexperiance) but should be fun non the less

    On a side note i read some of the Lion reviews and it says people are not being able to get office working but one i read said they were using office 06 and i have 0ffice 08 anyone have 08 with no issues? I think the main reason i have decided to take the plunge is when Van asked about iCloud i didnt know you needed lion so now im sold i have been mobile me now for 20 months as well and want the extra features of iCloud.
    I have a Mid 2010 MBP, originally with snow leopard. I read a lot of negative reviews with lion (as you did) but I decided to go ahead and try it for myself. So far, after a month of having it I haven't had ANY issues. I also have Word 2011 with no issues.

  11. #11

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    office 08 doesn't work but office 11 does?
    60% of the time it works every time.

  12. #12

    aestheticxxlove's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
    office 08 doesn't work but office 11 does?
    I have only used Word 2011 so I wouldn't know about the 2008 version.

  13. #13

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,521
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
    office 08 doesn't work but office 11 does?
    They both work fine on Lion. I have Office 2008 on a MacBook running Lion and Office 2011 on an iMac running Lion. No problems with either.

  14. #14

    RustProofCorn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    They both work fine on Lion. I have Office 2008 on a MacBook running Lion and Office 2011 on an iMac running Lion. No problems with either.
    did you upgrade lion or a clean install?
    60% of the time it works every time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Moving from Snow Leopard to Lion
    By cherokee2 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM
  2. advice needed - moving Lion osx 10.7.5 from my Mac Pro to MacbookPro
    By photoduck in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
  3. Glitches with Gmail since moving to Moutain Lion
    By harrietcapes in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 02:17 AM
  4. Moving pre-Lion iCal data to iCloud
    By KarenLilla in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM
  5. Spaces - Moving applications without moving space
    By Fidou in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •