New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why does my Mac keep freezing? (New to Mac)


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
odizzz

 
Member Since: Oct 09, 2011
Posts: 3
odizzz is on a distinguished road

odizzz is offline
Hi guys, had my Macbook Pro (Mac OS X Version 10.7.1, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB) for about 2 weeks and am using Safari (Version 5.1). For a Mac which is meant to be a powerful computer, I'm surprised and angry that it keeps freezing when I'm on Safari? My Windows computer does not even do this. I have about 2-3 tabs open (Just the usual Facebook, email etc.) and iTunes playing in the background yet when I try browsing on Safari the webpage will just freeze and sometimes not even resume itself?

Why is this? Can a Mac not handle having 2 tabs open and iTunes playing? Do I have something I don't know about running in the back ground?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 41,426
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

chscag is offline
There may be some background activity going on. The slowdown and freeze you describe is not normal. Open your activity monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and watch for unusual activity that appears to be using a large percentage of the CPU and memory.
QUOTE Thanks
odizzz

 
Member Since: Oct 09, 2011
Posts: 3
odizzz is on a distinguished road

odizzz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
There may be some background activity going on. The slowdown and freeze you describe is not normal. Open your activity monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and watch for unusual activity that appears to be using a large percentage of the CPU and memory.
Thanks for your response.

Activity monitor tells me User = 2% System = 2% Idle = 4%
Threads = 400 Processes 76

Any ideas?

EDIT: As I type this, Safari/the Mac just froze again. I have this thread open in one tab, Facebook open in the other, and I was on youtube ABOUT to type in a song in the search bar when it froze. iTunes is the only other thing open, not even playing?

EDIT EDIT: Now YouTube videos won't even load/play, just a black box. And no it can't be anything to do with flash because it worked like 2 mins ago?
QUOTE Thanks
HassanA

 
Member Since: Oct 09, 2011
Posts: 1
HassanA is on a distinguished road

HassanA is offline
I have a MacBook pro as well, and I'm having similar issues but a quick question Fr you.

Two days ago I took that new thunderbolt update that was available in the software updates and after rebooting im having a similar problem as you.

Do you remember installing an update related to thunderbolt? I'm thinking that might be the issue but I'm not sure how to reverse it
QUOTE Thanks
odizzz

 
Member Since: Oct 09, 2011
Posts: 3
odizzz is on a distinguished road

odizzz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanA View Post
I have a MacBook pro as well, and I'm having similar issues but a quick question Fr you.

Two days ago I took that new thunderbolt update that was available in the software updates and after rebooting im having a similar problem as you.

Do you remember installing an update related to thunderbolt? I'm thinking that might be the issue but I'm not sure how to reverse it

Yeah I think I did to some update that it recommended, maybe thats whats messed it up..
QUOTE Thanks
yogagirl

 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2011
Posts: 1
yogagirl is on a distinguished road

yogagirl is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
There may be some background activity going on. The slowdown and freeze you describe is not normal. Open your activity monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and watch for unusual activity that appears to be using a large percentage of the CPU and memory.
I am having the same issue with my Mac OS X. Can you explain how to open the activity monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

 
BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,742
BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

BrianLachoreVPI is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
I am having the same issue with my Mac OS X. Can you explain how to open the activity monitor?
The simplest way is to hit cmd+space and type act - then hit enter. Or go to your applications folder and then into your utilities folder and find it there.
QUOTE Thanks
riathomas

 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2012
Posts: 2
riathomas is on a distinguished road

riathomas is offline
I've been having the same problem a lot lately and its annoying. Only updates I have made are any recommended by Apple. I don't even have iTunes running. Just a few tabs open at the same time. Thank you in advance, too, for helping me out with this





Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzz View Post
Hi guys, had my Macbook Pro (Mac OS X Version 10.7.1, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB) for about 2 weeks and am using Safari (Version 5.1). For a Mac which is meant to be a powerful computer, I'm surprised and angry that it keeps freezing when I'm on Safari? My Windows computer does not even do this. I have about 2-3 tabs open (Just the usual Facebook, email etc.) and iTunes playing in the background yet when I try browsing on Safari the webpage will just freeze and sometimes not even resume itself?

Why is this? Can a Mac not handle having 2 tabs open and iTunes playing? Do I have something I don't know about running in the back ground?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,546
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

chas_m is offline
I don't have a Thunderbolt Mac and thus didn't get the update you're speaking of. Can everyone who has posted so far reporting this problem who didn't make it EXPLICIT that they have a Thunderbolt Mac please confirm that?

If we can narrow down a suspect, that will help Apple figure out the problem and thus, a fix!
QUOTE Thanks
riathomas

 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2012
Posts: 2
riathomas is on a distinguished road

riathomas is offline
I don't have a thunderbolt Mac. Mine is a MacBook Pro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't have a Thunderbolt Mac and thus didn't get the update you're speaking of. Can everyone who has posted so far reporting this problem who didn't make it EXPLICIT that they have a Thunderbolt Mac please confirm that?

If we can narrow down a suspect, that will help Apple figure out the problem and thus, a fix!
QUOTE Thanks
Marjamrob

 
Member Since: Feb 22, 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 20
Marjamrob is on a distinguished road

Marjamrob is offline
I have a white 2010 macbook, and I haven't seen this problem, I am on Lion with no new updates.

If I helped you leave a rep
My Official Counting Games Thread!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Cmd-S Hijacked Archives Instead of Save | Missing Log-In Items »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide cwa107 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 291 12-01-2014 12:46 AM
Mac freezing up - how to diagnose? jdlasica OS X - Operating System 6 05-30-2010 04:32 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?