New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac hangs even with low memory and CPU usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dubes14

Dubes14 is on a distinguished road

I have a G5 2.3 Ghz, with 10.5 GB Ram, running OSX 10.5.8.

I have noticed that following a restore from Time Machine that my mac is hanging a lot and running slow. I opened my activity monitor and at the beginning it was obvious that much CPU usage was directed to indexing. However, it has been days now and it still hangs on a number of programs despite the fact that activity monitor shows little CPU or memory usage. What can cause this? It also gets really bad while backing up the system with time machine. I kind of understand that to some degree but it hangs really bad. It has hung 4 times while trying to type this message. I have run disk utility and it shows the disk and permissions are fine. I have also checked all memory and it appears to be working fine as well. It just seems like my computer is not taking advantage of the CPU or memory. The worst problems have been with things like Safari, Quicktime, Photoshop, and while downloading with uTorrent. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
widescape

widescape is on a distinguished road

Could you solve this issue? I'm experiencing similar problems with my MacBook Pro Core i7 2GHz running OS X 10.7.2.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

1) How much disk space do you have left on the start up disk ?
You should left 15% unused .
2) Start you,re Mac in the verbose mode ,and see it comes with error messages
QUOTE Thanks
Dubes14

Dubes14 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you have the same problem but mine turned out to be a bad hard drive. Once replaced all was back to normal.
QUOTE Thanks
widescape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
1) How much disk space do you have left on the start up disk ?
You should left 15% unused .
I've got about 50% unused disk space (522 GB of 1 TB are free).

Quote:
2) Start you,re Mac in the verbose mode ,and see it comes with error messages
The only errors I saw were "Dubious ownership on file (skipping) /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.hidden.daemon.plist" (see Hidden - The most advanced theft tracking software for your Mac.) and "nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2" which appeared twice.

I have the itchy feeling that it has to do with network connections. But neither is the traffic high when the system freezes/slows down (all applications show a spinning beach ball of death), nor is the CPU load anywhere to be called "high".

Sometimes even the applications respond and the Dock shows the contextual menu, but then only texts like "APP_QUIT" appear in place of "Quit".
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

The message nstat-lookup-entry failed : 2 well nearly every body get that message .
If only appear twice just ignore it .
To be totally sure check you're kernel log .
If it appear often it can slow down you're Mac
Do you have that tracking software on you're MAC ?
And did you use it ?
Do you use any cleaning app and the mackeeper in particular ?
If you use cleaning software uninstall it using AppTrap .
QUOTE Thanks
widescape

Quote:
The message nstat-lookup-entry failed : 2 well nearly every body get that message .
If only appear twice just ignore it .
To be totally sure check you're kernel log .
It doesn't appear often. Very seldom to be exact.

Quote:
If it appear often it can slow down you're Mac
Do you have that tracking software on you're MAC ?
I did, but I uninstalled it. After seeing the error message above, I removed the remaining files that the uninstall procedure at HiddenApp described.

Quote:
And did you use it ?
Do you use any cleaning app and the mackeeper in particular ?
If you use cleaning software uninstall it using AppTrap .
I don't use cleaning apps. Especially not MacKeeper.

I'm now observing this a bit more - running Activity Monitor the whole time, to backtrack what happens during a freeze. Maybe the will shed some light on this issue.

(Edit) And thanks for your in-depth support!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Boot from your Leopard install disc, go into Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported. Sounds like a failing hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 10.6 - Driver for TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless USB Adapter | Making part of the Desktop "Off-Limits" »