New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tried out Lion @ the apple store today... I am not impressed whatsoever.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMac4Ever

iMac4Ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I really miss the older Mac OS. Well I have Leopard and its amazing, I miss the way Panther and Tiger and all those use to look, aqua IS amazing, the dock was amazing, it was all there and perfect nothing crashed EVER and i loved the brushed metal look, just everything about it was amazing and perfect. Now with Lion its just awful.. they took out the old aqua theme almost completely, and they added apps in??? What is this an iPad or iPhone??.. its a computer.. whats the deal with that and there is no Dashboard .. its just horrible, THEY ALSO made the old blue bubble shaped buttons SQUARE/Rectangular like linux and windows now.. what are they doing?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Dashboard is there. Did you press the middle button or the key for it? It's there.
QUOTE Thanks
iMac4Ever

iMac4Ever has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Dashboard is there. Did you press the middle button or the key for it? It's there.
Well even if it is... they still took out a ton of stuff and added some useless items.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Not sure what you mean by they took out a ton of stuff.
They did give us total 64bit architecture.
They did give us gestures with the new trackpads that speed things up for some of us.
It runs faster on newer machines or has been my experience.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Some people like it, some people don't. If your use to Snow Leopard then it's a subtle change and you should be fine. But upgrading from Panther or Tiger i'm sure is a drastic change and will probably take some time for you to get use to it.

I personally enjoy Lion.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

After having used Lion now since its release, I can honestly say that I still don't like the UI vs that of SL. Sorry but, if you've ever used Spaces/Exposé (properly) in SL, Mission Control is a complete joke. I know I was supposed to do a video to compare the two, and I still plan on doing it, but have been very busy lately.

From a Magic Trackpad user's point of view, (this one's anyway) the added gestures in Lion are totally redundant since what was added (such as Launchpad) just wastes a gesture on what one was able to achieve by a different method. Ok, ok... different methodologies, that's what it's all about ... I know.

But what I don't understand is why they changed the behavior of expose. Why make it so that Exposé only shows you the current open windows of the app in the foreground? Previously, it separated each and every app window so that you could see what was where, and bring any one of them to the forefront. Furthermore, if Exposé was activated while in Spaces, you'd see EVERYTHING, and not just the apps which are open for the currently used virtual desktop.

The previous method made it so simple to move ANY app window to a different virtual desktop. The current method is less efficient in this respect. I dunno, maybe I'll try doing the video tonight since I'm off tomorrow. But it's beautiful outside and am about to go to brunch so... we shall see!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
After having used Lion now since its release, I can honestly say that I still don't like the UI vs that of SL.
The latest issue of "Mac Life" (Nov) agrees with you. And going by the number of letters and emails they received from folks who dislike Lion, I would say Apple has some work to do in future updates to it.

I have no gripes with Lion, (have it installed on both of my Macs) but admittedly, I do like Snow Leopard better.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am the complete oposite Doug and I VERY MUCH KNOW how to use Expose properly. In fact I probably have used Expose longer and more than most here. I have no issues with Mission Control at all and much prefer it.

I figured by now you would have gotten used to it also.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am the complete oposite Doug and I VERY MUCH KNOW how to use Expose properly. In fact I probably have used Expose longer and more than most here. I have no issues with Mission Control at all and much prefer it.

I figured by now you would have gotten used to it also.
It's got to be a matter of left/right side brain function or logic whichg
separates our preference to either methodology. Hopefully, when I get that video done, ill be able to properly demonstrate the significant differences.

Doug.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Lepard Rant | GoFlex Time Machine Backup Understanding »