New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't remove apps from dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wandro

wandro is on a distinguished road

OSX 10.7.1: There appear three question marks in my dock, apparently belonging to apps that I have removed a long time ago.

I can remove these dock items using the context menu ("remove from dock"). But if I then log out and in again, they are present as before at their old places in the dock.

Possibly related: If I specify "Don't ask before emptying waste box" in the finder settings then this setting is forgotten, too, on log out/in.

Perhaps a matter of erroneous permissions?? But repairing permissions using the hard disk utility didn't help.

Are there .plist files for finder and dock that I could inspect? On Mac OS Lion I couldn't find them. May be their names have been changed (if they still exist at all).
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Dock icons: Open Terminal, type: killall dock

In Lion, the Library folder is hidden. Hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu, select Library.
QUOTE Thanks
wandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Dock icons: Open Terminal, type: killall dock

In Lion, the Library folder is hidden. Hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu, select Library.
Many thanks for your response.

Do you mean "killall Dock" (with capital D)? That didn't have any effect, the question mark items remained.

Unfortunately I do not really understand the purpose of your second suggestion: On my Lion system the /Library and /Sytem/Library folders are visible anyway, and I can use the "Invisibility Toggler.app" to see my personal Library folder in Finder, too. But I can't find any .plist files for Finder and Dock there. Can you perhaps tell me their complete path names?

Many thanks again,

wandro.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
Each one has a .lockfile too whatever that does...

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do try holding down the Option Key and click on Go and Library. Then Navigate to the Preferences folder.

For your Dock plist look for com.apple.dock.plist

For your Finder look for com.apple.finder.plist

You might have to remove the com.apple.dock.plist lockfile below.

You must be looking in the wrong folder. Try the Go with Option held down and Library.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandro View Post
Many thanks for your response.

Do you mean "killall Dock" (with capital D)? That didn't have any effect, the question mark items remained.

I can use the "Invisibility Toggler.app" to see my personal Library folder in Finder, too. But I can't find any .plist files for Finder and Dock there. Can you perhaps tell me their complete path names?
That's the one, then Preferences, as noted above.

The references I found do not capitalize "dock".
QUOTE Thanks
wandro

Sorry, I have indeed missed to look at the right place: I have used "Alfred.app" to find those .plist files and didn't expect that Alfred doesn't look into hidden directories.

I have then copied the two .plist files to my desktop and removed them at their original place. Then I have copied them back tho my personal Library directory. Surprisingly that has solved the problem: Changed finder and dock settings do now survive log out and in again. Explanation???

Many thanks again to all who have replied!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandro View Post
I have then copied the two .plist files to my desktop and removed them at their original place. Then I have copied them back tho my personal Library directory. Surprisingly that has solved the problem: Changed finder and dock settings do now survive log out and in again. Explanation???
I'm with you on step one, but step two does not fit with the explanation you're seeking: The plist file(s) was(were) corrupt. The way to fix that is to replace them. In this case, replace means substitute a new one for the old one. The old one, having been proven to be corrupt, is then thrown out.

You re-placed it, meaning that you put it in another place. Then you put it back in its original place. It's now working, so if you've described what you did correctly, the plist file was not corrupt. Thus, the improvement was magical.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [QUESTION] Is there any software for eye tracking with the isight? | Worse than a blue screen »