New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems downloading after changing 'User' location

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jorseff

Jorseff is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I've recently installed an SSD to run OS X and applications from. As it's only 60GB, I've changed my 'User' location (documents, downloads etc.) to an external HDD.

Everything was working fine until I tried to download something. The download progress bar fills to the end, then I get the message "cannot write file".

The Safari preferences have the correct download location, and it is writing the download there, but not completing it. For example, after trying to download something, the folder will contain the file 'example.pdf.download', but not 'example.pdf'.

As a temporary fix I've pointed Safari to download to a folder on the SSD, and put a symbolic link in the Downloads folder. This works ok, but it's frustrating to have to manually copy all my downloads to the external HDD.

Any suggestions why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

I used this procedure to set up my users directory on a drive separate from the SSD and have had no problems with anything.

Moving OS X /Users to a separate partition [Lnx2Mac's Blog]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« should i buy a mac server? | Sudden dramatic slowing down of window opening »