New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac Pro screen Anomalies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TeamLightning2

TeamLightning2 is on a distinguished road

The other day my Mac Pro screen screwed up and got a bunch of anomalies all across it. I could see the mouse moving but the computer was unresponsive. I turned it off and back on but as soon as the gray screen came on I could see the anomalies again. My first thought was that my screen had something wrong so I tried a different screen and it did the same thing. After letting it sit overnight it finally booted without any anomalies but only lasted for a few minutes before the anomalies came back. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. I think it might be the graphics card getting hot but I am not sure. When the problem started I had not installed any new hardware or software. I have attached some pictures I took with my phone of the screen. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (289.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (331.9 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does look like your graphics card is acting up. Do you have another that you can swap out to test with? Which graphics card do you have installed?
QUOTE Thanks
TeamLightning2

No, I don't have another card to swap it with (I wish I did). I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 card.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's a rather expensive card to have an extra one laying around. I just looked it up with some on line retailers and it sells for around $260. I don't know any other way to test it though without using substitution. You may be able to run the Apple Hardware Test and possibly find out if the card is acting up.
QUOTE Thanks
bfwesley

bfwesley is on a distinguished road

Hey what computer and operating system do you use? I've had the same albeit to a lesser extend anomalies with my MacBook Pro 13" 2009 version after updating to OSX Lion from Snowleopard and restoring from a backup afterwards.

Nobody I see has had similar issues and if they did they just re-installed the system and it worked fine. I'm not willing to do that though and rather figure out whats wrong.

With my computer that only happened after waking up from sleep or hibernation though.
QUOTE Thanks
TeamLightning2

It is a Mac Pro running Snowleopard. I have had the computer for 3 to 4 years now and this is the first problem I have had.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX Lion Instability and Graphic Issues | Privileges Users Folder AD/OD »