New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need help cleaning out my Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper is on a distinguished road

I am using a MacBook Pro 17" * 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Lep 10.6.8 with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My Startup Disk is 200GB.

I switched from windows and still a NEWBEE to Mac. I need help cleaning out some stuff on my HD. Opening a new finder window it states on the bottom that I have 1.33 GB available.

Lately I've been downloading movies from the pirate bay (17 GB worth of movies) and storing the stuff on my desktop. I've since copy and pasted everything to an external HD but I'm still left with 1.33 GB's left on my HD (?)

I'm thinking about wiping my HD clean and reloading Snow Lep from my external and pasting back from my external to the MacBook HD.

Will still solve my memory problem?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You must have more than just the 17 GB of movies? Maybe 50 GB or more of photos or music?
Backup everything that's important.
Delete files that you know aren't part of the system.
I don't recommend reinstalling OS X - that's a Windows method...
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
Lately I've been downloading movies from the pirate bay (17 GB worth of movies)
Pirate bay? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
Delete files that you know aren't part of the system.
...but nothing that you don't know what it is for!
QUOTE Thanks
Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

Quote:
I am using a MacBook Pro 17" * 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Lep 10.6.8 with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My Startup Disk is 200GB.

I switched from windows and still a NEWBEE to Mac.
Welcome to the world of not wasting time goofing with Windows problems. But yes, things are different here.

Quote:
I've been downloading movies from the pirate bay (17 GB worth of movies) and storing the stuff on my desktop. I've since copy and pasted everything to an external HD but I'm still left with 1.33 GB's left on my HD
That makes no sense. If you deleted 17GB of movies, then you should have >17GB of hard drive space.
Did you TRASH the movies? On a Mac, that means literally dragging them into the trash can in the Dock.
THEN, you must go to the Finder, and from the Finder menu item select Empty Trash. Until you Empty Trash, the space is still taken up on your hard drive!
WARNING: Once you Empty Trash, it is pretty much gone/dead/bye-bye and, unlike Windows, not easily recoverable even with shareware.

How much stuff do you have in iTunes? iPhoto? etc. (Go to the Finder, and your username is on the left pane of a Finder window. Click that, and you'll see Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures...right click each one to Get Info. Probably you have some huge bunch of stuff in one of those folders).

I would NOT delete other stuff, especially if you are a newbie. Mac code is much more efficient than windows, and programs/applications don't take up nearly as much space. What clogs the machine are images, sound, and video.

By the way, go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com
and buy yourself some more RAM. Your machine will run a bit happier with more memory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder names showing up weird - new one on me | Mini Mac reset to factory default »