Best way to transfer software, iTunes data, and MacMail history?

I've just ordered a new iMac and it should be here within the next day or so.

The first thing I need to do when it arrives is transfer the data from my old Mac to the new one.

I was wondering, is it possible to transfer all my software without having to insert the disks and reinstall?

Also, is it possible to transfer my iTunes data (ratings and playcounts), and also my email history in MacMail?

My final question is whether Time Machine would be handy for this? Would I be able to connect the external HD I use for Time Machine into the new Mac and revert to a previous save, and if so, would this cause any problems (ie. overwriting some of the pre-installed files from the new Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Easy peasy - its called migration assistent

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Okay, thanks for the link.

So, if I'm transferring using Time Machine, can I do it directly from the EHD to the new computer or do I need to connect the two computers?

I'm hoping I can do it directly from the EHD because the reason I'm getting a new Mac is because my current one crashes every ten minutes!

Thanks again.

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    When you first turn on the new Mac, it will ask if you want to restore from a backup - say yes - connect your ehd and away you go.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

What a relief! Thanks.

I read the article from the link and it said my software will be transferred, but could someone kindly confirm whether or not iTunes playcounts/ratings and MacMail email history will transfer?

Finally (and I swear this is the last question I will ask!), my new Mac will come preinstalled with Lion, so will it be safe and easy to transfer data from Snow Leopard to Lion without causing any problems?

Thread Information